Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
86001 - 86020 of 86459 Posts

·
WOOD... man!
4,323 Posts
Remember that aerial platform lift I drug home a couple weeks ago?
I've located a Ford Ranger pickup with good running V6 efi engine. Use to belong to my younger brother. Something in the transmission broke. Manual 5 speed. There's most of the parts I'll need to massage the man lift "hopefully" operate. The pickup bed and rear frame will make for a nice little yard trailer when limbs and debris.

Let's back up a bit. Thought you'd all get a kick out of the 21,000 lb lift being pulled off the trailer with the 10,500 lb '57 Mack.

Three short videos I've uploaded to YouTube.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I can’t figure out how to link from Apple Music but everybody go download Am I The Only One by Aaron Lewis. Preferably the explicit version.

The liberals are offended and wanting Aaron’s label to drop him. Record exec came out today and basically said it’s freedom of speech bitches 🖕🏻

·
WOOD... man!
4,323 Posts
I can’t figure out how to link from Apple Music but everybody go download Am I The Only One by Aaron Lewis. Preferably the explicit version.

The liberals are offended and wanting Aaron’s label to drop him. Record exec came out today and basically said it’s freedom of speech bitches 🖕🏻
That's just good stuff.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts

That's because you are using that hard to use Apple operating system 😅😅

·
Registered
21,395 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I want to like the song but I guess I just don't trust anyone anymore. I don't know the man and how he truly feels about things but my natural instinct these days is to assume people do what they do for money and attention.

Evening guys. I've been buying a few gunz parts for a new rifle build to ease the pain of my chewed up bumper.

·
WOOD... man!
4,323 Posts
Tomorrow's project:
Start replacing and bolting parts on the buggy build for Susan.
Also, start reassembly of the four cyl gas engine for the '62 Ford 4000 tractor. Will be nice having the work horse back up and running. Have a 7.5 ft finish mower I'm itching to try.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
@1TRIKHD
I have to pipe in here, I was towing a (roughly) 9000 lbs. bumper pull in 124 degree heat last month. I was 200 miles into a 245 mile pull a pretty good grade earlier in the morning. When i was doing the last 45 minutes of the road trip. My trans was at 252 degrees. I usually watch the vitals vigorously but didnt see it until it was too hot. It was shifting hard like being rearended. and slipping sometimes real erratic behavior.

I had it rebuilt 2 years ago with a billet converter and able to hold 700hp (per builder) also a HUGE trans cooler 18"X18" with 5/8" cooler lines. I also maintain my own truck and take what i think is really good care of her. I pulled over shut it down turned it back on and it was slipping bad.....P0700 and U1041 ( I think i recall)
Called a trans guy he said bring it in the TCM is bad. He ordered it and put it in also saying the PNS was bad also. (Raped me) 1700.00.

I get home after the trip ordered 2 gallons of Transynd and both filters from the DMAX Store. I drained what i thought was 2 gallons out replaced both filters filed it up with two gallons. Here is the weird part, when i checked the dip stick. It looks like it is full (170 degree idling in park) It is just below the mid point in the top cross (meaning the top section) hatch to the best of my ability to see. It seems to need to build line pressure to move out of park into drive or reverse. Once in gear it drives fine. Just when it sits for a bit it doesnt want to move until it builds line pressure. I am afraid of over filling it. It drove fine after getting home. It had to relearn but other than that it was fine. Now not so much.
It seems hard to get an accurate reading on the dip stick with the fluid level correct and the being clean . Im waiting for another gallon from DMAX store to see if just adding a little more.

Anyhow short story long....
252f is too hot. I would have changed all the fluid. It takes about 20 quarts to do a double flush and replace the pan and spin on fluids. When checking the fluid level, check both sides of the dip stick always go off the "lower" side for fluid level. The higher side might be splash from the fluid moving around in the pan.

At 175f the fluid should be at the lower hash marks of the hot section. Trans fluid expands the hotter it gets. Follow Mike L. advice. He has never pointed me in the wrong direction. I have been a customer for 10+ years.

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
252f is too hot. I would have changed all the fluid. It takes about 20 quarts to do a double flush and replace the pan and spin on fluids. When checking the fluid level, check both sides of the dip stick always go off the "lower" side for fluid level. The higher side might be splash from the fluid moving around in the pan.

At 175f the fluid would be at the lower hash marks of the hot section. Trans fluid expands the hotter it gets. Follow Mike L. advice. He has never pointed me in the wrong direction. I have been a customer for 10+ years.
While 250 is too hot for long periods of time, a short run at that temp shouldn’t have hurt anything. Especially if it was good fluid.

I agree with Randy. Never just cut the engine off when trans or engine oil temps are that high. As long as the engine coolant is NOT super hot/boiling, let it idle to cool everything down as much as the particular situation allows. If the trans was 250, I’m sure the engine oil was up there and I’m also sure the turbo was NOT happy when the engine was shut down while it still had screaming hot oil in it either.

I get a lot of push back on this sometimes but the GMT 800 trucks (99-07) really didn’t have the greatest grille area or cooling stack in them. As the years have gone on, they’ve gotten much better. Hell, look at L5P trucks. K2 to T1 (17-19 to 20+). The cooling package on the newer trucks is astounding when compared to the K2s. With no increase in hp or tq, GM upped the towing capacity on the T1 quite a bit, with a good bit of that change due to the cooling stack size increase.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I want to like the song but I guess I just don't trust anyone anymore. I don't know the man and how he truly feels about things but my natural instinct these days is to assume people do what they do for money and attention.

Evening guys. I've been buying a few gunz parts for a new rifle build to ease the pain of my chewed up bumper.
I hear everything you're saying and agree. But I think Aaron Lewis is the real deal. One reason? I followed Charlie Daniels for years and I guarantee he was the real deal. Charlie was a true a patriot as there was in this country and he did a video with Aaron Lewis. And they appeared to be buddies in the video. So if Charlie liked him, I'm good with him.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Let us know if adding fluid fixes the issue. Thats good that your do close to Mikes shop in case you need them guys to investigate more for ya.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
Yeah he did a great job on my trans and worked me in a couple days before Christmas. Since I was so far from home I sure appreciated him getting me in so I could get it done there so it was done right.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
Yeah he did a great job on my trans and worked me in a couple days before Christmas. Since I was so far from home I sure appreciated him getting me in so I could get it done there so it was done right.

I still remember when you were posting you were having problems while on vacation. Had to be at least a couple years ago.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I’m getting that gut feeling about selling the old truck

That green buggy will be a blast!! We had one as teens that we mashed around town! Rhino lines green and called it the booger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: rwood64083

·
Registered
19,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86,018 ·
I still remember when you were posting you were having problems while on vacation. Had to be at least a couple years ago.
Same here mike, still remember Matt Talking about it. Heard mike has some new springs for the trans coming out.

·
Registered
19,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86,019 ·
I’m getting that gut feeling about selling the old truck

That green buggy will be a blast!! We had one as teens that we mashed around town! Rhino lines green and called it the booger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave if I had cash just laying around it would but it for sure

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Yeah several years ago. You were the one who pointed me to that shop if I remember correctly.

Reactions: SoCalMike
86001 - 86020 of 86459 Posts