Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
86021 - 86040 of 86459 Posts

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Just checked my records. It was Christmas of 2018.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86,022 ·
Yeah several years ago. You were the one who pointed me to that shop if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
He was, with some others backing Mike up. Anyone with a head on there shoulders know as Mike L is worth the drive. Weather it be a short one for Mike or a longer one like Matt did.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SoCalMike

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
He was, with some others backing Mike up. Anyone with a head on there shoulders know as Mike L is worth the drive. Weather it be a short one for Mike or a longer one like Matt did.

I made this drive and slept on his shop floor and turned around and drove back to Utah, such a vast wealth of knowledge. Need to call the ol boy one of these days ask about warranty information for the new truck owner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
.............I agree with Randy. Never just cut the engine off when trans or engine oil temps are that high. As long as the engine coolant is NOT super hot/boiling, let it idle to cool everything down as much as the particular situation allows. If the trans was 250, I’m sure the engine oil was up there and I’m also sure the turbo was NOT happy when the engine was shut down while it still had screaming hot oil in it either.

I get a lot of push back on this sometimes but the GMT 800 trucks (99-07) really didn’t have the greatest grille area or cooling stack in them. As the years have gone on, they’ve gotten much better. Hell, look at L5P trucks. K2 to T1 (17-19 to 20+). The cooling package on the newer trucks is astounding when compared to the K2s. With no increase in hp or tq, GM upped the towing capacity on the T1 quite a bit, with a good bit of that change due to the cooling stack size increase.
Great advice here. I was taught this trick by my old man when he was teaching me how to drive semis and I never forgot it. When I am towing the camper and pull over for fuel, piss break or whatever, I never immediately turn the engine off so that it can cool down a bit. And it seems to work as I have not had any sort of issues with the truck (knock on wood).
No words needed
I won't even go into how much the camper frame is overloaded with that thing loaded on the back, will just say, that is an accident looking for a place to happen.

Morning to the crew. Thirsty Thursday!

·
Finally! Wheels on!
9,905 Posts
Morning boys. Made it back to texas yesterday evening.

Not only is the frame overloaded but it’s taking pin weight off the front. Would love to see the scale tickets on all the axles. But it’s much less than 20% pin weight

·
WOOD... man!
4,323 Posts
'morning gentlemen

5:30am. Furry kids are fed. Coffee's poured. Time to ramp up the day.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts

I was going to LA anyway. I was planning on going to Valencia and Magic Mountain only. But we changed it to a couple days in Orange county and Knotts so I could get the Trans done. I had planned on just waiting until I got home. It would have made it. My trailer is below the weight were it says I need tow haul. I use it anyway as it like that it stays in a lower gear longer. Better acceleration and down hill control. But it didn't limp if I didn't use tow haul. So it was just luck that I was going to be in the right place at the right time to go there. I think as long as I have the truck, likely forever as I won't do tier 4 emissions, all I will need to do is maintenance or maybe some small part. I really like the new 1500 for a daily. For less than the cost of a new Duramax I have everything the new trucks have for every day. And a better truck for towing. Because the reliability of the new trucks will be less as they get older and things always go wrong on vacations because you put a lot of miles on in a short time. Plus the Duramax isn't a daily now so I can keep up on the little stuff and it will be more reliable. And the 15oo will tow the trailer if I want. Also if I have a major breakdown I could fly home and get it to go get the trailer. Then take it back with the tilt deck and get the truck. It would suck but I now have that option. The Duramax is a little too heavy for the tilt deck. I loaded it up to try it. It's 350 over on the axles and 200 over what Chevrolet says for dead weight on the hitch. That won't break anything even over distance. And the 1500 pulls it fine. That trailer has less wind resistance and better weight balance than the RV. Even though it is heavier the 1500 pulls it better than the RV. One nice thing about the very short bed on it is there is very little overhang so there is almost no front end lift. The truck sits basically level with 900 pounds on the hitch. Air bags would help. If I did air bags on it they would be manually filled type. Auto level doesn't work well with a load distribution hitch. And I need that with the RV and that truck. It's OK without it until you get above 65 MPH or in wind. Then that truck needs it.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Morning guys it's Friday eve.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rwood64083

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Evening everybody
The kids helped me clean up a bit today and the eldest put all the tools away.
We emptied the truck out and sorted all the gear out. Have enough stuff on the ground to do 2 full houses I reckon.
He was a bit upset with me because somehow I've lost an 11mm tube socket 😅
We hung the hi bays in the new part of the garage now that broken down truck is out of there.
Now I just need to get it finished and clean the floor so I can epoxy it
20210722_144432.jpg

·
Registered
19,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86,033 ·
Morning to the crew and nice coffee Randy!

Reactions: rwood64083

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Morning fellas. Long day ahead for me on the road. !

Keep the chat up and I’ll keep reading it.

Good looking coffee indeed.

Hum. My wife needs to start drinking coffee

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Morning guys… pulling a Hayden, I’m off to bed now. ClusterF at work tonight. I did get a 45 min cat nap tho.

·
Finally! Wheels on!
9,905 Posts
Morning guys… pulling a Hayden, I’m off to bed now. ClusterF at work tonight. I did get a 45 min cat nap tho.
At least the commute wasn’t bad Ryan….

Reactions: rparlee and 1TRIKHD

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,210 Posts
Good morning fellas.

Last day of work for me. Off until Tuesday so I can visit the great state of Texas.

I've always let my truck idle a few minutes before shutting down after pulling a load, even when I was driving my 1/2 ton gasser. If I'm pulling the camper the truck idles while I'm getting backed into place and unhitched anyway, but if we're on a road trip I try not to shut down at all if we stop for fuel or whatever.

Thanks for the coffee, Randy.

Found out last night that a good childhood friend passed away. Since no one is talking about what happened, I'm assuming he took his own life. He was quite young (35 this year), had a beautiful wife and two young sons and my heart is broken for his family.

Please, speak up if you're ever going through somewhere so dark that you don't think you'll ever see the light again. I can't promise to have the answers, but I can promise to listen and help you walk through the darkness. Just don't do it alone.

·
Registered
738 Posts
While 250 is too hot for long periods of time, a short run at that temp shouldn’t have hurt anything. Especially if it was good fluid.

I agree with Randy. Never just cut the engine off when trans or engine oil temps are that high. As long as the engine coolant is NOT super hot/boiling, let it idle to cool everything down as much as the particular situation allows. If the trans was 250, I’m sure the engine oil was up there and I’m also sure the turbo was NOT happy when the engine was shut down while it still had screaming hot oil in it either.

I get a lot of push back on this sometimes but the GMT 800 trucks (99-07) really didn’t have the greatest grille area or cooling stack in them. As the years have gone on, they’ve gotten much better. Hell, look at L5P trucks. K2 to T1 (17-19 to 20+). The cooling package on the newer trucks is astounding when compared to the K2s. With no increase in hp or tq, GM upped the towing capacity on the T1 quite a bit, with a good bit of that change due to the cooling stack size increase.
Now you guys make me feel i abused my truck. HAHAHA When it first happened. It couldnt have been that hot for too long i looked at the temp about 10 miles prior and it was 175 As soon as I saw it was hot I pulled over and let it idle for almost 30 minutes the first time. Did i mention the temp outside was pushing 122-124 degrees. Not sure what the asphalt as that i was parked on. The oil not sure, the coolant was 195-210 depending on if the fan was on or not. The entire truck generally runs pretty cool.

When it wasnt cooling down idling for that long in the hot sun. I limped to an abandon gas station 1/2 mile away and pulled under the overhang and let idle for a bit longer. It was dropping so after another 15 minutes of idle i shut it down. The fluid was just changed before the trip maybe had 50 miles on it. Anyhow, the fluid looked of color and did not smell burnt. I came home and did a full service. My wife drove my truck home. I used a loaner truck from a buddy to pull my trailer home. It was an 8.1L Gas. What a pig. I tell you what it never passes a gas station.

I spoke to Mike the truck is going there next week for a tail shaft seal.

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
Great advice here. I was taught this trick by my old man when he was teaching me how to drive semis and I never forgot it. When I am towing the camper and pull over for fuel, piss break or whatever, I never immediately turn the engine off so that it can cool down a bit. And it seems to work as I have not had any sort of issues with the truck (knock on wood).

I won't even go into how much the camper frame is overloaded with that thing loaded on the back, will just say, that is an accident looking for a place to happen.

Morning to the crew. Thirsty Thursday!
Yup. I always let mine cool down. Learned that when I was working on the farm. If you wanted to kill an older turbo charged tractor engine, just work it hard cold or shut it down hot. That’s about all it took.

If the frame was reinforced, and the axles were moved back to compensate, they are probably fine. Some of those fifth wheels have a pretty beefy rear frame for hauling a tandom trailer so maybe? Probably not this one though lol.

Morning boys. Made it back to texas yesterday evening.

Not only is the frame overloaded but it’s taking pin weight off the front. Would love to see the scale tickets on all the axles. But it’s much less than 20% pin weight

For sure. If his pin weight is off, bad news for sure.

Good morning fellas.

Last day of work for me. Off until Tuesday so I can visit the great state of Texas.

I've always let my truck idle a few minutes before shutting down after pulling a load, even when I was driving my 1/2 ton gasser. If I'm pulling the camper the truck idles while I'm getting backed into place and unhitched anyway, but if we're on a road trip I try not to shut down at all if we stop for fuel or whatever.

Thanks for the coffee, Randy.

Found out last night that a good childhood friend passed away. Since no one is talking about what happened, I'm assuming he took his own life. He was quite young (35 this year), had a beautiful wife and two young sons and my heart is broken for his family.

Please, speak up if you're ever going through somewhere so dark that you don't think you'll ever see the light again. I can't promise to have the answers, but I can promise to listen and help you walk through the darkness. Just don't do it alone.
Sorry to hear about your friend Derek. I’ve been down those dark roads before, it’s not fun. Had some REALLY good help through it that I am forever thankful for and offer up my return help anytime I can as well. Especially from someone that has been through it, I can only try my best and hope it’s enough but I can guarantee you it’s better than nothing.

Now you guys make me feel i abused my truck. HAHAHA When it first happened. It couldnt have been that hot for too long i looked at the temp about 10 miles prior and it was 175 As soon as I saw it was hot I pulled over and let it idle for almost 30 minutes the first time. Did i mention the temp outside was pushing 122-124 degrees. Not sure what the asphalt as that i was parked on. The oil not sure, the coolant was 195-210 depending on if the fan was on or not. The entire truck generally runs pretty cool.

When it wasnt cooling down idling for that long in the hot sun. I limped to an abandon gas station 1/2 mile away and pulled under the overhang and let idle for a bit longer. It was dropping so after another 15 minutes of idle i shut it down. The fluid was just changed before the trip maybe had 50 miles on it. Anyhow, the fluid looked of color and did not smell burnt. I came home and did a full service. My wife drove my truck home. I used a loaner truck from a buddy to pull my trailer home. It was an 8.1L Gas. What a pig. I tell you what it never passes a gas station.

I spoke to Mike the truck is going there next week for a tail shaft seal.
Yeah, those 8100 trucks actually worked really well but would develop a sharp pull in the steering wheel anytime you were near a gas station, for sure.

86021 - 86040 of 86459 Posts