Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago while on vacation my 2016 2.8 duramax went into low power mode, took it to dealer in. Cottonwood, AZ. $420 later they had ‘rigged’ a turbo wastegate rod that had fallen off the truck, it was formerly attached by two e-clips. It did not wear out, did not break, it fell off somewhere. On way back to Texas the ‘rigged’ rod failed and I limped back to Texas on IH10 along a construction area about 30 miles long. It was very exciting driving 40mph along an 80mph zone, with a convoy of about 100 18 wheelers behind me. Who knew they had so many middle fingers. Got home to Fredericksburg dealer. They are great however apparently the rod that fell off cannot be ordered withou ordering the entire $1500 turbo! Kinda like getting a flat tire and having to buy a new truck. This rod was a separate piece held on by two e-clips and yet cannot be ordered separately. In the 80K miles I have experienced numerous sensor failures and clogged particulate filters that have left me truckless for many days. Once I get this issue resolved I’m getting rid of it. Too bad, it’s a nice truck when it works, that being all too seldom.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It’s June 2 and my Canyon is still unfixed? In a few
Days it will be seven months. Jeesh

·
Registered
53 Posts
That sux in so many ways. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I know this brings no comfort to you, but this is exactly why I will never buy any truck that has been made, regardless of brand, in the last 10-15 years. Too much crap that can and will fail. I am a firm believer in fuel injected engines, but I pretty much draw the line there. Mechanical systems I can fix, computer controlled heat seaters are not something I need in a truck nor want. Now, every vehicle being made has AFM, something that the gov't forced on manufacturers. I have yet to meet anyone that wanted, or needed, AFM. Same with the auto engine stop at a stop light.

The newest vehicle I drive is my 2001 2500 HD. My wife has a 2019 Subaru that she likes but still wishes she had her 1998 Camaro SS. The Camaro was great to drive, but wasn't the best vehicle for living in the Colorado mountains on a dirt road.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. It’s an unusual situation in that GM has really been good about supplying a loaner and I believe they will help cover a lot of the cost. It’s just frustrating they can’t figure it out. No codes are being thrown out. Heck I think most of the engine/sensors/turbo will end up being tested or replaced. I just wish they would prioritize it like making the GM tech park his butt there until it’s bloody fixed!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Why are you paying anything? At 80K don't you have full drivetrain warranty? Look at the bright side. After they replace everything you will have a new engine on a vehicle that hasn't been driven in a LONG time keeping mileage down :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That year GM lowered warranty to 5/60:(
But u r right, I am using there vehicles and they are rebuilding mine. Like I said it’s hard to be too pissed at them as they are being pretty decent considering. Cud have told to to go suck eggs. But dang the road is longgggggggg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts