Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just received a call from my dealership service rep and he informed me they will be replacing the injector harness for cylinders #2and #7 for free as it is covered under my 5 year 100,000 mile engine warranty...:rockin:drink

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
hell yeah! i dont have a warrenty:( so when they go its it....but nobody told me what the ice pick fix was?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hell yeah! i dont have a warrenty:( so when they go its it....but nobody told me what the ice pick fix was?

i did some research on the ice pick fix and didn't find any good info on it. i did find out that there is a repair kit via gm for this problem. the gm part number is 98017958. it retails for $254.00. it is a do it your self repair. that's alot better than a $1000.00 harness replacement!!!!

p.s see you are in the lawn care business. that is one of my businesses also!!!!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
well i guess you got a good dealer. my dealer wanted to argue with me over it

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just had this e-mailed to me about the ice pick fix....

Here is a link to another Forum that has a good step-by-step of how to do the Ice Pick fix.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=142114

Here is some info I wrote and saved.
That problem is usually caused by a loose connector at the injector. The cheap fix that will last, is to remove the connector, place it against something flat, and push a SHARP ice pick into both terminals. This will raise a dimple inside the connector for a better contact. Do this for #2 and #7 injectors. (The cylinders are numbered from the front--- passenger side- 1-3-5-7 and the drivers side is 2-4-6-8)

Also inspect the FICM harness at the alternator for shorts and wear-through. The harness is tied down with a zip tie, gets cut and shorts by contact with the sharp corner of the bracket.

These are common problems for the LLY engine. Everyone that has a LLY should know how to do this, and have a sharp ice pick in the glove box!

·
Registered
66 Posts
just had this e-mailed to me about the ice pick fix....

Here is a link to another Forum that has a good step-by-step of how to do the Ice Pick fix.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=142114

Here is some info I wrote and saved.
That problem is usually caused by a loose connector at the injector. The cheap fix that will last, is to remove the connector, place it against something flat, and push a SHARP ice pick into both terminals. This will raise a dimple inside the connector for a better contact. Do this for #2 and #7 injectors. (The cylinders are numbered from the front--- passenger side- 1-3-5-7 and the drivers side is 2-4-6-8)

Also inspect the FICM harness at the alternator for shorts and wear-through. The harness is tied down with a zip tie, gets cut and shorts by contact with the sharp corner of the bracket.

These are common problems for the LLY engine. Everyone that has a LLY should know how to do this, and have a sharp ice pick in the glove box!
The link is no good... I have a buddy w/ an lb7 w/ a injector 7 high out put code (P1241) and I wanted to try the ice pick thing. But couldn't find a write up or any pictures of where the actual harness is located on the injector.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice post Vetteplus... My truck is red and my vettes are black... Take care and have fun.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i picked my truck up Friday afternoon, the dealership also waved my manufacture deductible. total cost for me was $0....

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
NICE thats a good dealer

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Good Deal

i picked my truck up Friday afternoon, the dealership also waved my manufacture deductible. total cost for me was $0....

Warranty finally paid off....yeah...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
NOTICE he said vette'S are black...Im only 17 i have my own landscape business, its pretty intrusting, and somebody always needs there grass cut lol thanks for the info i always wanted to know how the cylinders where number..and i did my ice pik fix kinda confusing but i think its fine :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
so the harness that plugs into injector 2 and 7 get a lil loose in side and dont touch strong after awhile

and the harness over the alternator needs attention to?

does anyone have pics on this ?

thanks

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any1 have pics or a good write up on how to do the "ice pick"?
beware the ice pick fix may last for a day, a week, a month or year. is it worth the worry? i did not think so and fixed it the correct way.....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
X2

and the alternator rub area pics?
just look at the wire harness that is zip tied to the top of the alternator bracket. cut the zip tie and inspect the wires if you see a bare wire from rubbing the bracket repair it and you are good to go....

·
Registered
686 Posts
just look at the wire harness that is zip tied to the top of the alternator bracket. cut the zip tie and inspect the wires if you see a bare wire from rubbing the bracket repair it and you are good to go....
thats funny i just walked in from doing this i had rub marks and a lil thru but re taped it and put a rubber piece in there, good to go ,,,

what do i gotta do to the injectors now?

·
Registered
686 Posts
beware the ice pick fix may last for a day, a week, a month or year. is it worth the worry? i did not think so and fixed it the correct way.....
how do i do this? fix the injectors right

thanks man

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
you can purchase the repair kit from any gm dealer. it will give you the new harness for both cylinders and all the mounting hardware needed. the gm part number is 98017958. it retails for $250.00 ed

your truck might be covered under the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty, if so the fix is free. just had mine done 2 days ago.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
you can purchase the repair kit from any gm dealer. it will give you the new harness for both cylinders and all the mounting hardware needed. the gm part number is 98017958. it retails for $250.00

Thanks for the part #... Got my harness off doing head gaskets so I'll add this to my repair work... About 98,000 miles I had a intemittent miss on # 2 according to my scanner... then it went away... thought I had a injector problem. Maybe the harness/connector was acting up. 107,000 no warranty so I'm learning a lot in the school of hard knocks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.