Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know where I can find a (less than ) < 2 Micron OEM style filter for under the hood. I have a AirDog II and I would like to have finer filtration just before the CP3.

Thanks in Advance

av8or

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
check out nicktane.com....they have a 1 micron filter that goes in the stock location with an adapter. I just opted for the CAT filter as I have a RACOR pre-oem also.

·
Registered
101 Posts
wix or NAPA GOLD (made by wix)

·
Registered
235 Posts
No, ADII standard filter is 2µ nominal, not 2µ absolute...

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
No, ADII standard filter is 2µ nominal, not 2µ absolute...
ok, time for a DF learning moment:

what does this mean?

i'm ordering an ADII next paycheck and am curious as to the difference in nominal and absolute

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Durallymax

I'm trying to extend injector life and I figured that since the AirDog II filter is 2 microns if I could have the OEM filter location filter out finer particulate it would help.

av8or

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
ok, time for a DF learning moment:

what does this mean?

i'm ordering an ADII next paycheck and am curious as to the difference in nominal and absolute
Nominal means that it is anywhere from 0 to 98.6% efficient at stopping particles that size. Absolute means that it stops at or above 98.7% of particles that size. People just hear someone call a filter a 2 micron filter, then they assume that it stops everything at 2 microns or bigger. Definitely not the case. If you don't hear the word "absolute" then it doesn't mean much of anything really.

The ad2 filter isn't "absolute" until around 30 microns. So its still a good idea at least in my mind, to keep the stock filter too for the added filtration.

I havent heard of a 2 micron absolute filter. I think if you could find one it'd have to be huge or it'd plug up really fast.

I actually have a test report of the ad2 filter. At 4 microns it is only 33.65% efficient. At 10 microns its 77.3% efficient. I don't have a test for the stock filter, but I'd expect that it performs similar.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
You're going to want a CAT or donaldson filter if you're looking for absolute filtration

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Nominal means that it is anywhere from 0 to 98.6% efficient at stopping particles that size. Absolute means that it stops at or above 98.7% of particles that size. People just hear someone call a filter a 2 micron filter, then they assume that it stops everything at 2 microns or bigger. Definitely not the case. If you don't hear the word "absolute" then it doesn't mean much of anything really.

The ad2 filter isn't "absolute" until around 30 microns. So its still a good idea at least in my mind, to keep the stock filter too for the added filtration.

I havent heard of a 2 micron absolute filter. I think if you could find one it'd have to be huge or it'd plug up really fast.

I actually have a test report of the ad2 filter. At 4 microns it is only 33.65% efficient. At 10 microns its 77.3% efficient. I don't have a test for the stock filter, but I'd expect that it performs similar.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...
would you happen to have one of these nifty reports on a CAT filter for the Nicktane adapter??

bc thats whats next on my list :D

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts