Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read in a few places about running WMO, but it seems like I mostly see post about running 100% WMO and I saw one about putting 10-20 gallons of WMO in a transfer tank, filling it the rest of the way up with diesel, driving around and letting it mix and then using that to then fill up the truck.

I don't have a transfer tank, but I do have a 40 gallon tank at work I can use to mix things up in. My question is: is 20% too much WMO? Obviously I will filter the WMO and I am getting a CAT filter adapter. Also what would be a good method of mixing the WMO/diesel or how thoroughly does it need to be mixed?

I'm looking at this because I do a fair amount of oil changes on friend's cars (all in good shape, no spun bearing/crappy oil). So why not use that to my advantage and save some $$?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
187 Posts
its tempting but i wouldn't put a drop of wmo in my dmax. if you had an old 7.3 or 5.9 with a mechanical pump sure but the injection pressures we run in these trucks is super high, the viscosity of that trying to pump through your fuel system is not a good idea. if you want your motor/injectors to last you'll be wise to keep it out of your truck. if you want to put that wmo to some use go pick up an older diesel for a beater and run the crap out of it with wmo.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Personally I would only attempt a very, very small percentage in these motors. I don't notice when I run 3.5% (1 gallon per tank) but I only put the oil that comes directly out of my truck.

If you are unsure of the quality I would invest in a centrifuge to be sure your feedstock is free of particulates and water

·
Registered
98 Posts
use the search function. Another guy here tried WMO with his duramax and ended up with a lot of problems.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
That gut was running alot of oil. I used to run three to five gallon per hundred gallons and I'm gonna start doing it again

·
Registered
98 Posts
anyone know if there are different injectors would help if running a bit of WMO? If I was doing it, I would keep the ratio of WMO to Diesel under 20%. Cleaning it several times as well as having an extra filter system on the truck with either a FASS or airdog system might help.

·
XBoxLive: RenegadeDuramax
1,776 Posts
anyone know if there are different injectors would help if running a bit of WMO? If I was doing it, I would keep the ratio of WMO to Diesel under 20%. Cleaning it several times as well as having an extra filter system on the truck with either a FASS or airdog system might help.
It's not the individual injector design that gives Dmax owners problems with WMO or WVO... it's the common fuel rail design and the fact that the injectors fire by pulse timing, not pressure.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well, I guess I have earned the status of "that guy" :) FYI, I currently add five gallons to a nearly full tank of fuel frequently in my LB7, I just make sure I almost empty the tank, fill w/ no.2 then add my centrifuged WATF w/ 10% RUG for thinning, the viscosity after mixing is the same as D#2, I have been doing this for quite a while now with no issues, also i'm still running large percentages (over 50%) in my cummins ISC with no major problems, just when I go to high percentage it won't go past the filters fast enough. I have a scource of nice clean WATF and it's all I run now, no problems so far, if you see any smoke emitting from a DMAX, your screwed with a capitol S.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello. I have been using a 45% mix of hydraulic/tranny/oil mixture with 15% of RUG and then 40% of Diesel from the pump. I am saving 45% $ obviously by doing this. I have had no trouble as long as I FILTER the oil mix and let it settle as the RUG helps to settle water and any particulates down to bottom of filter. Please go to Martin Paine's website oiltofuel.com He has a great multiple page Black Diesel (WMO) report you can buy for $19.99 and also 2 different sizes of all-in-one filtration devices. WMO mixed and filtered in the right way helps quiet your engine, lubricate it better, higher MPGs, and saves you big $ and yes....it runs just fine in the Duramax up through the 2006 models!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I cleaned out my storage and found about 1 gallons worth of leftover oil from oil changes on my previous cars. 2 qts royal purple and 3 qts of autozone cheapo oil, all 5w30. One or some of my injectors are bad, new ones on the way, it feels a bit stronger and economy seems a bit better. I have a mix of Diesel Kleen and some Seafoam in the tank as well. WMO is something my brother does on his deuce. Goes around collecting WMO and dumps it strait in the tank. Id like that capability but our trucks are no deuces.

·
Registered
90 Posts
DO NOT RUN SYNTHETIC OIL!!! Synthetic oil is designed to NOT burn... hence when you "try" to run it in your diesel engine... it doesn't "like" to burn.

My tips: (take them for what they cost)
1- Trans fluid is best media to start with (usually can see most contaminates in the media and fairly thin)
2- The WMO you start with is the 2nd most important decision yo will make (and easily altered) The best oil to use is diesel engine oil (modifiers in the oil... google additives in Shell Rotella) Lubricity. Also easy to get decent quantities at a time, and diesel guys change their oil on schedule for the most part.
3- The way you CLEAN the WMO (I centrifuge through a WVO Design centrifuge, some guys I have seen filter, its ALL in how clean you want your fuel)
4- The hardest to control Asphaltenes (another awesome google weeks worth of reading) short version is gelling fuel. The green fuel (on highway fuel) is very dry. That is one reason many... many... guys run 2 stroke oil through their fuel for the lubricity. So now you have your WMO mix looking good... clean... and ready to run... dump it in your tank and BAM! Moister is your worst enemy.
(picture from MY personal experiences)

And lastly... carry a couple extra fuel filers :gearjamin

·
Registered
13 Posts
DO NOT RUN SYNTHETIC OIL!!! Synthetic oil is designed to NOT burn... hence when you "try" to run it in your diesel engine... it doesn't "like" to burn.
I disagree, I burn large quantity's of synthetic and it burns the same as dino oil. You do realize synthetic or most of it is also dino oil. :thumb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts