Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 LLY with 20K miles and have had recent problems with it shutting down at 2000 RPM's. I usually run an Edge Juice with Attitude programmer and a K&N Air Filter in the truck and have since new. The problem remains even when all after market equipment is removed...but is totally unpredictable. I have had it at the dealership and no codes were displayed and they instructed me to replace my fuel filter. The current fuel filter had only 3K miles on it, but I did replace and the truck ran fine for several weeks.

All of a sudden, the same problem occured this weekend with less than 500 miles on the new fuel filter.

Any suggestions????

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
I would say cut the filter open and see what it looks like if all the media is dirty your are getting dirty fuel. DO you get all your fuel at the same place?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Usually...but not always. Do you think the K&N filter might have something to do with it? I have had the filter installed since new...not sure why it would start causing problems with the mass airflow sensor now?

Drove the truck approx. 100 miles today with no problems. Seems like it would still be acting up if it were a fuel filter issue?

·
3,162 Posts
A overed oiled K&n will cause MAF codes but will not cause limp mode, THe problem is more than likely fuel related. I dosent have to be the filter but usually is and driving style has a lot to do if it sets the low rail psi code or not, with a dirty filter usually a full throttle blast up through the gears will caust the limp mode to set adding extra power from the edge the higher the level the sooner it will happen due to the engine now needed even more fuel. THe only thing i find weird is the no codes, limp mode will set a code no matter what causes it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. Sure enough it did it again this morning with all stock equipment (air filter and without edge). Went straight to get the fuel filter changed, cut it open and it looked clean. After the new filter was installed, it's acting normal...so I'm playing a waiting game at this point and plan to take it straight to the dealership next time it acts up.

Thanks again for the feedback...any other suggestions are welcome.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i had it happen on a LBZ but the fuel rail valve was messed up(they are pressure activated)and it acted like it didn't have enough pressure and then it would trip the code so see if you can't have them check the rail valve and see if that isn't the problem..

·
3,162 Posts
If the filter is clean i would have the FPRV (fuel pressure regulator valve) replaced or do a PPE shim kit on it. After that your down to either the regulator on the pump or the pump its self!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the truck back today...problem turned out to be the fuel rail pressure relief valve. At WOT the truck was only getting 60 MPA instead of the normal 160 MPA.

Bad news is that they replaced my steering gear box (because of nasty grunt at low speed turning) and now I have slack in my steering wheel. Think I will request another gear box be installed.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
Got the truck back today...problem turned out to be the fuel rail pressure relief valve. At WOT the truck was only getting 60 MPA instead of the normal 160 MPA.
thats the little thing i was talking about just couldn't think of the proper name for it..i'm glad the problem is solved:drink

·
Registered
20 Posts
Usually install a shim kit or lift pump. Lift pump resolves all problems associated with surging and P1093 code which is the dreaded "no above 2000 RPM".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts