Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2001 gmc sierra with the 6.6 duramax. it ran fine for the first few hours i had it. i went to take a drive after it sat for about 20 minutes and it started then died as i went down my drive way and would not start back. after buying a new glow plug control unit it would not start still but the help of some starting fluid did the trick. it ran all day then broke down again a few hours later. after sitting all night, it started after a few tries. it then ran for 4 days with no trouble. now its sitting on the side of my road and will not start. same symptoms as the first day: drove all day, stopped for a minute, then stalled out about 45 seconds after i pulled out of the drive way.

here's what i know so far.. the injectors are not spraying, they just kinda "piss" diesel. and the fuel pump turns on. all glow plugs have been replaced.

it has a programmer in it but i have no clue what it is. the person i bought it from lost it and im having to have the computer reflashed once i get it towed to a dealership.

any help will be greatly appreciated:confused:

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Check your fuel filter and the housing for cracks...

And don't use starting fluid...

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
I am curious as to how you know what the injectors are doing also. Replace your fuel filter, if it still does it have a mechanic check your fuel vaccum pressure if it is over 5 at idle you have a restriction down stream somewhere. My buddies did this and it was crapp on his fuel pickup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well it went to the dealership this morning. they reflashed the computer and had no luck getting it started. they proceeded to tell me that cyl. 7 has a knock. but what ever they did once they said that about cyl 7, the truck started up and ran fine. they told me that there was air in my fuel lines and they bleed it all out. i paid and left. about a mile down the road, im broke down with the same problem and waiting on a tow truck. i also forgot to mention the fuel filter has been replaced. and as far as the injectors go, i misunderstood the first guy that came and looked at my truck.

i have no clue as what to do or anything. this is my first diesel truck to own. it is now at a diesel mech. who is ready to charge me tons of $$$ to start digging in to find the problem.

any other suggestions before i go broke?

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Did you have them check the fuel system vaccum pressure?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i asked but i never got a straight answer. all i got was "you had a ton of air in your line" it is now at a local diesel shop and they are saying that i pretty much need a new motor. i have no clue whats going on here

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Take it somewhere else. When you pump the primer on the fuel filter housing it gets hard after how many pumps? The vaccum pressure is super easy to check, you can buy a tester yourself at most autoparts stores and there is a test port right next to the altenator. If there is too much vaccum pressure it will not start.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Take it somewhere else. When you pump the primer on the fuel filter housing it gets hard after how many pumps? The vaccum pressure is super easy to check, you can buy a tester yourself at most autoparts stores and there is a test port right next to the altenator. If there is too much vaccum pressure it will not start.
Can you explain this further-?? :confused:

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
I had a customer with an 02 lb7 that would start then shut off when warm, and wouldn't restart untill it was cold. Then it just quite starting. I tought it was the cps but it was fine, no play. Went to a friendly dealer and used his vaccum gauge and while it was cranking it had 29" of vaccum. We dropped the tank and the pickup was packed full of some type of sediment. Cleaned the pickup and the truck started right up and had 5" of vaccum, his truck runs great now. Just so the OP knows several dealers told him it was his injectors and another told him it was the pump or both. He could have spent quite alot of money if he didn'tkeep digging. Exhaust all the little things before you go for the big repairs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just found this thread back i am in same boat.

Ok, so i have posted on here around this time last year about my 2002 lb7 not wanting to start in the cold. People said to rebuild the fuel filter housing because thats a common problem thus causing air in the lines. I tried that and had no luck. Then i thought maybe the whole housing was junk not just seals so i then completely replaced the hole housing. I later came accross the same issue. After that trial and error i changed my glow plugs (a few were shot and the others weren't too far behind). It was cold out and i was having good luck with that until it started to get really cold 25 or below. It gets plugged in every night as well and now it turns over but will not fire to save its life. Ive tried priming it cause that has worked before but still nothing. And it does have 2 new fresh batteries put in november of last year. The injectors were also replaced by local dealer around 35k miles ago. No check engine light or any sort of codes popping up because i thought it could be my glow plug relay but no codes. I am stumped and have tried every little logical thing i can think of. Anyone else have this problem that found the solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
it is now at a local diesel shop and they are saying that i pretty much need a new motor.

Run......fast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts