Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2001 Duramax?

4K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  bakertime 
#1 ·
Ok so here it goes. I ran across a good buddy of mine and he has an older duramax that just started smoking so injectors. He is a diesel mechanic and is religious about his trucks. He tells me last night that he just does not have the time right now to work on it and would just like to sell it. Now I'm a cummins guy and know nothing about the duramax except that they ride better and have an outstanding trans. I pull a 30ft enclosed trailer all over the country and don't want to be stranded. He is asking what he owes $5000
Good deal or not? It looks nice both outside and inside and just had all new suspension put under it. So what do you guys think and also it does have
200k on it. Good buy or stay away.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum! :drink

How many miles are on it? As long as it has under 150-200,000 Id go for it! Injectors are about $3,000. If its not over them miles then youll be able to get over that if you resale it!

#5 ·
Buy it - if the truck is nice, its a great deal!

#6 ·
Welcome to the DF

I say go for it

#11 ·
Welcome!!! If you get it this site has everything you'll need to fix it up. When I bought mine it had bad injectors and I used a thread on injector replacement and did it myself and saved alot of money.

I'd say go for it

#15 ·
The only problem i have are the injectors. I am a mechanic but not a diesel mechanic. The injectors i was quoted put in for about 3500, thats a lot of cash. I would rather do it myself but heard there are special tools and such involved. Also reading thru these posts will kinda scare a man out of buying an 01-03 because of injectors. This is a clean truck, but it also has 200,000 on it. Can I do injectors? Oh yeah thanks for all the replies that awesome.

#18 ·
The injector change isn't bad at all, I made a puller out of a pry bar i ground down. That was the only tool I didn't have.

I wouldn't let the injector issue scare you away since if you replace them with a better set you shouldn't have to worry about them cracking. Sounds like they got the problem fixxed. Just make sure you dont touch the tips because my buddy did and he had to start over lol...

As they said use the DIY thread and it will be pretty easy :drink

#20 ·
I was told that there was a newer design/update for them that you would need to get for them to be more reliable than one of the old/original designs... I am in the same boat right now, so if nothing else, consider me subscribed for the recommendations of the possiblity of a more reliable set!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.