Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. So, My 2002 2500HD has 275,000 miles on it and about 6,000 miles ago I had my first injector fail (ever!) in Southern Mexico. I found a good mechanic and amazingly found 1 injector not far away and had it sent in and replaced. I was happy with the work and truck ran great. I continued down to Costa Rica where I am now stuck due to Corona Virus and the truck recently started having trouble starting and I noticed that at very steady, low RPM driving (like 35 mph) the motor would rev up and down very slightly. Other than that truck seems to drive pretty normal.

I found a reputable diesel mechanic here and we plugged in the diagnostic computer and got the following codes

p1094 - low rail pressure
p0102 - Mass Air Flow sensor
p0700 - MIL transmission?
U1000 - ??
U2106 - lost communication with module in transmission?
U1041 - lost communication with speed module in transmission?
U1024 - lost communication with control module transmission

Sorry these are all translated from Spanish!!

So we started with pulling the fuel filter that had been installed 6,000 miles ago when the injector was replaced (I had an extra from NAPA with me) and opened it up and it was jet black! It seemed to have motor oil all mixed in filter "pads". It left black residue on our hands and didn't quite feel right.

My Spanish isn't perfect but I believe the mechanic was saying that the motor may be "shooting" oil back from the rail up to the diesel filter through another bad injector? Is this possible? What other things should we be looking at? Could the transmission codes have been thrown by the "rough running" of the motor? Transmission has always felt fine. If we start pulling the injectors, we could open a huge can of worms as no parts are available right now because of Covid-19.

Sorry, I'm not mechanically inclined and really don't work on my truck myself. I have to try to educate myself very quickly because of the language barrier down here and lack of parts. We can't even find a new fuel filter yet!

Thanks for any and all advice!!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Better find a better mechanic if that's his diagnosis. I'd be checking the fuel in the tank, who knows what you're going to get there. At least you have a CP3 fuel pump on your truck, & a nice place to be broke down haha.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Fuel filters turn black from just good clean diesel. I forget what it's called now. But it's the same stuff that will clog the filter if you have a lot of miles on it and then run some biodiesel in it.

Your problem is more likely in the u codes. Those loss of communication codes means you have a wiring or computer problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, we changed the diesel filter and drained and cleaned the diesel tank. Added injector cleaner when we installed new filter and it ran good for about 50 miles then problem came right back. Went outside to take it back to mechanic and it would not start for anything, towed to mechanic.

New codes - PO201, PO203, 1261, 1262

The mechanics just say that I need to replace injectors. In spanish to english translation they say that the injectors are "short circuiting". But they haven't pulled the injectors yet.

I'm not saying I don't need new injectors but first, it will take weeks to get these delivered to Costa Rica, second, I'm not very confident in these guys to do such work.

Any help or advice PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also absolutely no smoke coming out the exhaust and no fuel mixed in the oil to suggest bad injectors. Could they be "bad" without these indicators? Sorry for my ignorance. Just really can't afford the time and money for new injectors if this doesn't solve the problem. Maybe have to just abandon truck here?!?!

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Have you ever done the "Ice Pick fix for your injector harness? If not try this:

The black onyrou filter are asphaltines, tiny pieces of asphalt normal in petroleum as it comes out of the ground and not filtered out at the refinery. They are hard and erosive, the filter gets black as it traps them and they are oily..

Those codes are all injector related, 0201 cylinder 1 o2o3 cylinder 3 adn the others generic ignition to injectore.

Try the ice pick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you ever done the "Ice Pick fix for your injector harness? If not try this:

The black onyrou filter are asphaltines, tiny pieces of asphalt normal in petroleum as it comes out of the ground and not filtered out at the refinery. They are hard and erosive, the filter gets black as it traps them and they are oily..

Those codes are all injector related, 0201 cylinder 1 o2o3 cylinder 3 adn the others generic ignition to injectore.

Try the ice pick
Thanks, sorry for my ignorance, but what is the actual goal of the "ice pick" so I could explain it to mechanics here? Is it to reestablish the electrical connection which has maybe become corroded or bad in some way?

The truck didn't sound bad running at all!! As a matter of fact, my wife and I were saying that without really trying to "hear" the slight "reving" at low rpm's, a normal driver would not even notice. Hell, we have a 3000 lb slide in truck camper on the truck and have plenty of power and no smoke. That's what so perplexing. When we had a bad injector in Mexico we sure as hell knew it!! Immediately had to find a shop.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
FPRV might cause the lope. Sound like old school mechanic thinking you have HEUI injection system where a bad Oring can mix engine oil back into the fuel return. Can you get your hand on some fuel additive and see if that fixes the lope

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FPRV might cause the lope. Sound like old school mechanic thinking you have HEUI injection system where a bad Oring can mix engine oil back into the fuel return. Can you get your hand on some fuel additive and see if that fixes the lope
Already did the fuel additive with new fuel filter. Seemed to help with the lope at first. But came back and then truck would not start at all, had to be towed.

Long crank start seemed to get worse and worse as engine got hot.

Besides low rpm "lope" and long crank start truck ran great. Check Engine Light has never come on!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Try pushing the primer button on filter head see if it is soft

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try pushing the primer button on filter head see if it is soft
Truck is at the mechanic, 20 miles away. But, yes, top of filter head for prime has been soft each time I tried to start last week before calling tow truck. I even opened bleeder to "prime" before calling tow truck. And tried a little diesel fuel in the air intake (no ether available in aerosol here).

What might the soft head indicate?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
So could you crack the bleeder and pump the primer until fuel comes out then tighten bleeder and pump primer until firm. See if truck starts then could just mean the fuel filter head needs rebuilt o rings letting air into system. If you run additive and loping stops it usually mean FPRV is sticking you could save that repair until you are back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
crack the bleeder and pump the primer until fuel comes out then tighten bleeder and pump primer until firm. See if truck starts
This is exactly what I tried before calling tow truck and truck would not start.

I can try again tomorrow when I go to look at truck, can't go today.

Any idea how to get the truck running? I've already paid 2 tow trucks and need to get it to another spot for repairs and load camper and really don't want to pay tow again.

I could definitely live with the lope if it meant no serious engine damage was being done! The entire truck/camper may be going into long term storage here in Costa Rica and us flying back to Colorado due to Covid. If I can get it at least running, I can come back with injectors next year if needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Try the ice pick
Thanks for the ice pick trick! I'm going to try to convince another mechanic to try it. Can't hurt to try and gotta try something!

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
take some time and research the procedure and decide for yourself what to tell the mechanics in Mexico

Reactions: ChevyTech77
1 - 17 of 17 Posts