Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, im new to the forum but not new to diesels.. im on my second duramax, the EX aka satan made off with my 06 lbz
and you live and you learn.. right? anyway im a welder that has always had chevy diesels, i have two of my older rigs that are running off the old 6.5 gutless coal burners and i just scooped up this 02 DMAX 5 spd. Allison combo..
all in all i think shes a good fit especially for the price.. shes got 175,000 on her 4 wheel drive, manual transfer case and a service bed, set me back 8,500..
she runs great and goes down the road great.. it seems as though at idle she is a little ripe, im thinking its time for injectors, so being that this is a daily driver/welding rig i want to spruce her up a little without compromising integrity.. im sending it in to get the trans flushed and filters monday.. ive been reading about these five sppeds and it seems like they do not like a ton of power put on em.. but like i said im not gonna be racing with it i just want it to be solid and hold up well with mild gains.. my 06 had an s and b air intake 5" exhaust and a ppe standard programmer, imo it ran good... so i was just looking for some thoughts on how to address this 5 speed and what i can do so she stays happy...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Don't flush the Allison, no bueno. Buy four gallons of Dex 3 or better yet TES-295 rated fluid and drain tranny at drain plug. Replace plug and refill with a little less than two gallons (checking level with dipstick). Drive around for a day or a week or a month and repeat. This time also replace the spin-on filter at bottom of tranny and don't forget to use the donut magnet off the old filter.

Simple as that, don't overthink it.

·
Registered
852 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
You're good to about 90HP over stock on a stock 5 speed Allison. I have almost 400K on mine and haven't touched the internal filter. Based on how you use it, you can drain and refill (7.4 qts) plus a spin on filter every 50-60K and the trans will be good to go. For more mpgs go with some EFI Live tunes from one of the vendors on here and a 5" exhaust.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well shit learned something new today.. lol ive heard guys talking about the live tunes and thats basically a programmed cpu right? idk much about that and it kind of makes me nervous buying something that i cant change or control.. or dont know how to tune ya know? like i said really dont know much about it.. i was gonna go with another ppe standard.. is that comparable to the performance gains of the live tunes? that and a 5" stainless diamond eye exhaust and a another s+b air intake... i appreciate the feedback you dont learn if you dont share... oh yeah.. the injectors.. whats a good set of injectors to throw in her...?

·
Registered
852 Posts
i went to that allison page stanleyrock, whats the deal with prognostics setting? this is all new to me..
That just applies to 2009 and newer models, and is just basically a maintenance reminder like an oil life monitor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
anyone else got any suggestions on simple mods? how about them little boost valves or what about that banks big head? air intake/programmers? help me out guys? i want to know what others have run successfully without blowing their shit up...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well thanx to the guys at LDS and Steves Auto tech in Conklin NY the LB7 is back running tip top.. new injectors, a rebuilt transfer case... new fluids and filters.. a new Ujoint.. man its like a different truck.. thanx guys..

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Exhaust, intake (I like SnB) I run a boost valve don't know if it does anything but for 20 bucks why not. And efi live auto cal with stock trans tunes. And your good. Might consider a lift pump as well that's about as far as you can go until you build the transmission

·
Vendor
2,190 Posts
well thanx to the guys at LDS and Steves Auto tech in Conklin NY the LB7 is back running tip top.. new injectors, a rebuilt transfer case... new fluids and filters.. a new Ujoint.. man its like a different truck.. thanx guys..
I'm glad to hear the truck is running well for you! Let us know if you need anything in the future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.