Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just changed fuel filters and was pumping up the system with the little plunger on top of the filter housing when I noticed fuel running out from the base of the plunger pump. I removed the 3 screws that hold the plunger in place. Then remover the pump assembly. Inside there is 2 O-ring type seals the top one was damaged. Apparently one seal alone is letting fuel past it. If fuel can get past it then also air.
:confused:
My question is where is there a source for buying new seal, O-rings whatever you want to call them?
If possible please also reply to me direct
[email protected]

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Your best bet would be to match it up with one at the autoparts store. GM won't just sell you the o-ring. You need to buy the whole filter head assembly from them and it runs about $600.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O-rings primer pump

Wow, thats not good news. GM is bound to have some un-happy customers if some substitutions can't be found! I checked a few auto parts houses Saturday and found nothing that was similiar. Hopefully Monday I can try some of the big truck service centers. :confused:

Thanks for the feedback... Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check with NAPA, they should pull out a big box/assortment, pick through them until you find a match, might be metric.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Gunny

These o-ring looking seals are actually a springless hydraulic lip seal. 10 out of 10 auto parts places didn't have anything close. The GM dealerships are very willing to help but have no breakdown of parts. They have the whole fuel filter housing ($610.00) as ob_1jr. pointed out. The dealership was willing to knock off a hundred bucks but I don't want the extra work of changing out all the hoses to the new housing and it seems sick and wrong to rob one or two seals out of a 5 or 6 hundred dollar unit.
I went to a Wheeler Caterpillar dealership today and his supplier has a few of the seals in stock. I ordered a FEW extra, Next Day Air UPS. Hopefully they will work! The seals are supposed to be here tomorrow, so on the bicycle one more day. :D

Thanks mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Duramax primer seals

I found a reasonable replacement seal for the little primer pump. Sure beats 5 to 6 hundred bucks for a new filter assembly!
I ordered a few extra if anyone has trouble with the old seals. You can contact me through the forum or direct.
[email protected] (I'm no expert on the automotive end but contact us for complete service, specializing in recovering of fabric aircraft):cool:

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
no, but I believe kennedydiesel.com or gmdieseltech.com has them in stock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Duramax Primer Pump Orings

I have had many calls regarding the orings for the primer pump I can get these orings the only problem is i either need sample o-rings sent to me ot possible get some one to get me the Inner and outer diameter of the oring, if possible to take the groove depth and width of where the Oring goes I see that the thickness of the o-ring was sent to me but I need a sample if someone can get me one I know I hae repalcements for these orings. So if anyone can get back to me as soon as they can so I can help you out. You can reach me at [email protected] or call 1-800-669-9638 HYDRAPAKS SEALS INC.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I replaced the entire Filter Head/Priming Pump, installed the new fuel filter at the same time, and already have the same condition (failure to prime)?

I have no idea why after the first time using the priming pump, this time it won't work?

Hundreds of dollars later, my truck is sitting dead in the driveway again! :help

R/

Doc

·
Registered
59 Posts
I finally did get it primed by pressurizing the fuel tank. Once I got fuel into the filter, the priming pump worked fine? It might have had a hard time because it was on an incline.

I have been hearing a tapping, and today I saw smoke and realized it was coming from my injector. I plan on taking it in, hopefully the 200,000 mile warranty will cover it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did the new o-ring seals fix the problem? I have a 2004 duramax lb7 and at last fuelfilter change the filter was only half full of fuel. I can prime the bulb until it gets hard and then minutes latter it feels like it is loosing prime...

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I replaced the Filter Head/Priming Pump, it only solved the problem temporarily. I ended up pressurizing the fill nozzle/tank in order to prime it.

I finally broke down and installed a 95 GPH FASS in the hopes of: a. Not losing prime again b. Filtering my fuel better (.2 microns) in order to prevent another fuel injector replacement.

So far I have had no problems, though I am thinking of getting my Fuel Injectors Extrusion Honed.

I hope this post helps answer your question.

R/

Doc

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank You

Thanks to you guys in less than 24 hrs my 03 Max is back on the road and I didn't have to part with $600.00. I got the Viton Option for Biodiesel and Overnighted for less than $40.
Thank You !!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Duramax Forum,

I just wanted to post that HydraPakSealsInc, now supplies also a VITON SEAL(Part#NU15-1.18/V)FOR BIODIESEL, If you would like the whole VITON Kit(part # DURAMAX BIODIESEL KIT) contains some viton orings as well as NU15-1.18/V .If you have any questions please Contact us at 1-800-669-9638 or visit us at Hydraulic Seals, O Rings, Mechanical Seals or email me at [email protected]

George Morales
800-669-9638
801-973-7325
Order online at Hydraulic Seals, O Rings, Mechanical Seals

·
Registered
231 Posts
Think I will be getting a couple o-rings too. saw leaking fuel at the primer button which never seems to keep pressure. a couple times my truck will stall just after start. Several other posts of this same issue. Thanks.

·
Love My L5P
511 Posts
I've seen the bleeder screw on ebay as well. just look up duramax fuel filter and you should find them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts