Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title pretty much says it. I started my truck this morning and the "service engine soon" light was on. Went and had the code checked and it came up with glow plug circuit fault. Where do I start with checking something like that?

Thanks in advance..

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Take the rail off of them and get a test light, hook it to the pos side of the battery and touch the tip of each glowplug. if it lights up the glowplug is bad.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, forgive my ignorance I am new to diesel. Where would that rail be located?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe it is. Its registered in CA and gets smog checked every two years so I am guessing it is. why do you ask?

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
This pic should help. The bracket circled in yellow has to be removed, so the plastic box that houses the main fuse block can be pulled. Once you have that box pulled, the fuse in question will be visible on the left side of the box, when standing at the driver's side fender facing the engine bay. The red arrow is the approximate location of the fuse. I should have taken a pic with the box removed.

It's not like any fuse I've seen before in a vehicle - more like a circuit breaker. It's held in place by screws or bolts at both ends and atattched to large gauge wires. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok awesome, I'm going to take a look at that now. Ill update with what I find.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pulled that box off and found the fuse, but it doesn't look like anything is wrong with it. How would I be able to tell? it's encased in black plastic. And in reference to the recall, my truck had over 200k so it isn't eligible for that recall. Also, when I am testing the glow plugs, you said if the tester lights up they are bad? I was reading on another website that said if the tester does light up they are good, I just want to double check.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts