Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I’m new here. I have a 2002 LB7 and I just recently got efi live tuning done and just. Long story short. I need a new trans and not sure where to go and what torque converter I need. It’s a daily driver and doesn’t do much towing if any at all but I also would like to do some fun stuff in the near future like dirt drags, pulls... ext.

info about the truck:
Fass 150 lift pump and sump
Fab tech 6” lift
35x12.5 tires
Bosch stock size injectors
mbrp 5” straight pipe
K&n intake
Efi live dsp 5

plans for the truck:
Build the trans or swap it
Beef up the front end
Down pipe and y pipe
Cold and hot side piping
Traction bars
Maybe a turbo in the far future when it’s not my daily anymore

Also I’m in Canada so if there are any Canadian company’s or company’s that ship to Canada.
Any info and recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks for reading

·
Former GM Tech and parts
3,171 Posts
I started out the same way. I didn't have much done to my 02 other than an intake, exhaust, fass pump, and a tune. I went with a SunCoast Gmax5 and a 1058 converter because down the road I new I wanted to have some fun. I don't regret that decision on the trans at all. I had mine built by Fleece because they are local, the whole crew there are friends of mine, and because they and SunCoast stand behind their products. I've gone WAY farther with the truck than I really ever had intentions to, but the trans has held up great

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started out the same way. I didn't have much done to my 02 other than an intake, exhaust, fass pump, and a tune. I went with a SunCoast Gmax5 and a 1058 converter because down the road I new I wanted to have some fun. I don't regret that decision on the trans at all. I had mine built by Fleece because they are local, the whole crew there are friends of mine, and because they and SunCoast stand behind their products. I've gone WAY farther with the truck than I really ever had intentions to, but the trans has held up great
thanks for the reply and info. So you went with a build kitand built your stock trans? How is the converter compared to the stock one?

·
Former GM Tech and parts
3,171 Posts
Correct, they pulled my trans out, disassembled, cleaned, and built it with the SunCoast parts. The 1058 is obviously a triple disk converter and is a little higher stahl than the stock one. Lock up is very noticeable, some people don't like it and think its a bit harsh, but I don't mind it- but I've always liked a nice firm shifting trans anyway. It worked really well on the stock turbo, and I had no complaints at all with the cheetah. Sometimes I think its a little off for the setup on my truck now with the s4 but it still works well and lets me tow, daily drive it, and work it without any problems. They do have a couple converters that aren't as harsh on lockup like the 1058 that drive more like a stock converter so that option is out there too

Reactions: 2002_green_bastard
1 - 4 of 4 Posts