Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What year did they start putting the step in corner of bumper, what years of bumpers with steps would fit a 2002 GMC 2500HD. And is it easy or possible to do. Has anyone done this, can I see pics.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I added the AMP Research bedstep to the left rear side of my truck and I love it. It is off to the side and so usable when the tailgate is down. This bumper step is easy to lower into position and equally easy to raise back and have it completely out of the way. Cost me $240 and an hour of my time. I will never have a pickup without one of these steps added.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess you didn’t understand, I need to change my rear bumper and was thinking of installing one of the newer style bumpers with built in step.

·
Registered
655 Posts
It’s been done on the previous body style trucks, should be doable on a 02. I remember a thread on here somebody had a dark grey 08-14 body style and put a 15+ bumper on it. If you didn’t KNOW these trucks it looked factory.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I would not trust the small step inserts in the bumpers I have seen. Take a look at the AMP Research step that provides more than double the surface area, a non-slip surface, and pulls out and away from the bumper and this makes it much easier to use to get into and back down from the bed of the truck.

With my 2011 truck the distance from the tailgate and bed to the ground is 38.5 inches and so I have always made use of a step or a step ladder to get up and back down safely. I used a step that pulled out from the hitch receiver for many years but with the AMP Research step I can leave the trailer hooked up and get up into the bed with ease.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts