Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work for an indipendent shop as a basic hired hand. I was given specific instructions to remove the schrader valve placed near the alternator of this Medium Duty Duramax. Plain and simple, removed valve, gave to Master Tech, he removed internal workings to he could run what I believe to be a fuel pressure test.

I was told to reinstall the valve.

Easy.

Upon reinstalling the valve, I had expected it to reach its stopping point upon the threads, which it did not. Upon noticing that it turned a few times more than expected, I removed the ratchet, only to have the test port to follow with. AKA, I'm screwed.

Cons: Turns out it was alluminum, and I simply destroyed it.
The first thought that came from brainstorming was to drill the hole, tap it, and install a pipe-thread fitting to allow the truck to atleast run. Though upon further inspection of the location, we realized that this location had already passed the fuel filter, and drilling it runs the risk of producing shavings that could find their way to the injectors and cause a whole new set of problems.

Pro: Because this is a slightly older model, we found diagrams indicating that the fuel lines have many breaks in them where they go from Metal to hoses and back, allowing us to replace the injured section vs the entire thing, which I was told would be hours of work, because GM built the engine around the placement of these lines, or something along those lines.

Our thought right now is to remove the EGR cooler, which will give us access to the parts I must remove as well.

I am a very green technician, who has no diesel experience, but I am mechanically inclined, can turn a wrench well, and determined to fix this, for I am really unable to go back on the clock until I do so.

So I am asking for advice, or drawn out processes of what to do here. I have removed the large filter box, the alternator, and various connectors that bar my path.

Help.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If I was the owner, I would want/expect that line to be replaced. Might have to take the intake horn and coolant crossover to get to all the fittings. Replace the line and all banjo fittings and you will be done as well as avoid any metal shavings that may have already made their way into that line from you stripping the threads. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
352 Posts
You don't even need to remove that valve to get a fuel pressure reading, IIRC it is a quick connect.
Yes, it's only a Schrader valve, and would have very low pressure anyway, considering it's before the cp3. Only pressure they would find is from priming a new filter, or a lift pump. I only used it to bleed air out of new lines.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou for all of the quick replies.

Yes, I know NOW that it is a quick disconnect, I got too ahead of myself and saw the disconnect head the shape of a bolt and quickly removed it without processing all the info, my fault, my situation that I am fixing.

As well, this is all being fixed with no cost aside for time to the customer.

Aside from what I said before, I have removed the EGR cooler which has the offending lines right beneath it. THis is progressing slowly, but surely, nothing like learning while struggling to make you remember perfectly.

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
Hang in there-- we all have made mistakes. Just admit it, and fix it --and learn from it. You sound like a person that will be a good honest mechanic. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
Moved

1 - 7 of 7 Posts