Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm new to the site but have been on the other diesel forums for years messing with Cummins. I'm looking at a 2003 Chevy Duramax 4x4 with 218k miles on it. They want 14,900 for it which seems high to me. I'm going to talk them down due to not knowing when or if the injectors have been done as well as the high miles. I know nothing abount Duramax and just started reading about the injector problems. Does it compare to the issues that the common rail Cummins had with injectors? If so, I'm not so concerned with it. I really like the truck because its really clean and nice. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. Any pointers other than buying an LBZ or LLY? I would if I could but I can't due to money. 15k is all I have to spend.

I was reading the thread about the other LB7 owners who said they wouldn't trade their truck so that made me feel better. As long as I stay on top of things will I be ok? Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The LB7 and the CR Cummins are both prone to injector failures. It's damn near a when not if you will replace. Some go 200k+ with nary a problem, others bite the dust in 75k. Just luck of the draw with either.

I would get the VIN if possible and then have it checked on this site before you purchase.

It could be great truck out of the box, but you may also be diving into a money pit for a little bit.

Get a VIN check and then go from there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool thanks. I have the vin. Can I just post it here to have it run?

·
Registered
85 Posts
14,900 does seem high, i just payed 8,900 for my 03 with 278k on it. Its a crew cab short box with a zf6, and it came with a gooseneck, 5th wheel hitch and airbags in the rear suspension.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
14,900 does seem high, i just payed 8,900 for my 03 with 278k on it. Its a crew cab short box with a zf6, and it came with a gooseneck, 5th wheel hitch and airbags in the rear suspension.
Any problems with yours?

·
Registered
85 Posts
None so far, had to put a wheel bearing and flasher in it... The truck runs and drives very nice. I was nervous about a truck with this many miles, but now after driving this one for a few thousand, i wouldnt even think twice about another one with this many miles. But Im sure it mostly depends how well the truck was taken care of.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
None so far, had to put a wheel bearing and flasher in it... The truck runs and drives very nice. I was nervous about a truck with this many miles, but now after driving this one for a few thousand, i wouldnt even think twice about another one with this many miles. But Im sure it mostly depends how well the truck was taken care of.
Thats goos to hear. I'll know more after I drive it tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Theres guys out there with over 800k on LB7's, I wouldnt let miles scare you away. Theres a few on here with High miles running some hot tunes. I have 230k on my lb7 and I run a 150HP tune daily. I'd just make sure 4wd works and ask if they've done the rub plate...One nice thing is I baught my truck with bad injectors and replaced them myself.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Ok cool thanks. I have the vin. Can I just post it here to have it run?
I do believe there is a VIN check forum on here. Post it in there and they should get you squared away boss.

Also I would not worry one bit about the injectors going bad or having to replace them. If you have some sort of sense about you, you can do change them yourself. The LB7's get a bad rap for those damn squirters, which is BS to me, but who cares what I think haha :cookoo[1]:

·
Needs more go fast
12,519 Posts
200k on mine and she's right around 600hp :gearjamin
is on its second set of injectors tho

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help guys, but the truck was ini terrible shape and I didn't buy it. The a/c didn't work, the ignition switch was messed up and the tires were bald. The interior was also a wreck. I'm gonna keep on looking tho. I'll for sure be back with more questions! Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts