Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my pickup to the dealer not a minute too soon. It was sucking air around the fuel filter base and as a result I had to crank it a long time to get it to start. After getting it started it ran fine. I would put a new filter on and it would be ok for a few days and slowly would go back to the same problem. This went on for about a month and I tried several brands of filters, all with the same result. The hotter the weather the worse the problem. On the hottest day of the year I was afraid I would get stuck some where, so to the dealer I went. Stopped in the check in line. Left it running. Had the check in guy stand by the filter and listen to it suck air after I shut it off. They couldn't get it restarted. They had it all day and called and said they couldn't figure out what was wrong. Probably the pump. Why would you not address the obvious leak? Thats where I would start. Please,has anyone out there had this problem. Thanks

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
They didn't address the real problem because they don't know what is going on. What pump are they talking about? (I'm assuming the injection pump since that is the only pump we have for fuel and it actually sucks fuel to itself since we do not have a factory lift pump) Your filter housing could be cracked or your bleeder screw could be leaking air into the system. Also, it could be your Fuel Pressure regulator valve being weak, but Like you said....if the filter housing is leaking, that's where I would start too...it is a lot easier to change than the injector pump and FPRV. BTW, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2003. It ended up being a cracked housing and let me tell you it ain't cheap. Cost me like 600 dollars for a housing.:mad:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bet thats whats wrong with mine! It starts fine in the mornings and when the motor is cold but the hotter the motor and the day the harder it is to start. What would be the best method to find out you have a bad housing??

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
That could also be an indicator of injectors going bad too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im leaking fuel by the filter too.. I think its on top by the bleeder screw... Seems to come and go, I think it might only happen when I crank my horsepower up.

·
Registered
850 Posts
And we have a winner in the ancient thread revival category, step up young man! :drink

But seriously, those plastic bleeder screws sometimes crack (replace with stainless one) and the filter head o-rings and plunger seals go bad (buy re-build kit).

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
moved to LB7

1 - 8 of 8 Posts