Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be my first diesel truck.

It has 150,000 miles on it with brand new injectors just put in it. Drives nice and rides like a 1/2 ton. Its an extended cab with every option possible except the dvd player. Was wondering if anyone could help me out on what to look for on the truck with this many miles on it. Some people have told me that it just got broke in at 100,000 miles and others say its to many miles for 17,000 dollars.

What are some goods and bads about these trucks

is there any engine problems that occur around this many miles?
is that allison tranny gonna go soon?

the older fellow that owned it didnt really pull anything at all with it....its all highway miles driving from florida to michigan all the time

was just wanteing some of your thoughts on this.....if i should get it or stay away from it

thanks all for the help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i checked everything over and everything looks fine, i would say maybe soon the wheel bearings will go,

i never owned a diesel before and realy dont no what to expect.

is this considered low miles still?

i have read that they have had 2 motors out for this year that 1 is alittle better than the other or are they really the same....i havent got the slightest clue

thanks dude

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. If an older guy owned it, it probably wasn't chipped. 150,000 highway miles is nothing. There are people with well over 200,000 miles on the truck with very little problems. The allison should go for a long time without added power (in stock form). Just make sure to change the external filter every 7-10,000 miles and change the fuel filter at least every 10,000 miles. For 17,000, I would buy it knowing that the previous owner didn't chip it and that the miles were almost all highway.

As far as motors for this year....one has extra emission crap on it and the other doesn't. One comes in the new body style and the other in the "classic" body style.

BTW, Welcome to the site!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thank you for your info.

I'll get it as soon as the bank opens up tomarrow morning now. Everyone i talked to said its a deal of a life time and wouldnt put it past me that i could get 6 to 7 years out of it with no problems at all. I never beat on anything that i drive, but some buds ask to throw a bully dog chip in it for better fuel milage and power, never dealt with the chips before is that something to think about or just leave it alone.

i think ill be sticking around to this site to start to read more about these trucks.

thanks once again for everything

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
from personal experience, go with the predator (I have had both). Bullydog stuff didn't really help that much and there was a timing rattle. The predator running on 40 or 65 hp will help out the most and it had diagnostics on it too. I would just drive the truck for a while and see what kind of mileage you are getting. I would bet that in stock form that truck is getting pretty decent mileage. Probably 18-21 on the highway as long as you keep it around 2000-2100 rpms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks for all your help

the controls on the dash say its getting 20 average which thats better than my half ton...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just bought my first LB7 back in April 2007 with 164,000 on it for under 16,000. Have been really happy with it until I had bad luck with it this weekend. (Read my post titled "Knocking + smoke") But I do love this truck and have realized that after something may screw up, you just got to deal with it. In no way do I regret buying this truck, and I believe I got steal on it too. It also was owned by an old couple, and was not chipped. Even though I ran into some bad crap with it here recently, and don't let it scare you, I'd do it man.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
ya i would say stay away from bully dog i had it on my 06 LBZ duramax and the only thing it did was add some power and it sifter weird so i sold it and went with the PPE programmers but i'm after higher hp then most so thats the reson i run the ppe but i also gained and average 2 to 3 mpg on both of my demax's but the best for the buck is the diablo sport..

·
Registered
121 Posts
go with PPE or diablo predator for a tuner. but the best of the best is EFI Live, but it takes some time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts