Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when did they switch over from internal injectors to external injectors on a 2004 duramax. Looking at 2 tuesday. Both have about 140,000 miles on them.

would the vin number be able to tell me the build date.

jthanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
Very easy to tell….lift the hood. On a 2004.5 - 2005 LLY the injectors are right there. Prior to that they are buried in the heads.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
i love my lb7 but damn, injectors are a bitch

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here are the vin numbers
1gthk231x4f108934
1gthk23204f209277

also found a 05 in my price rang it got 150,000 miles on it same price
but its got a stupid ranch hand front replacement grill. someone want to trade bumpers. lol

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The LB7 engine had "buried" injectors noted by a "1" in the 8th spot of the VIN. The LLY engine has a "2" in the 8 spot.

So the first VIN is a LB7, and the second is a LLY. All 05 trucks had a LLY engine.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The LB7 engine had "buried" injectors noted by a "1" in the 8th spot of the VIN. The LLY engine has a "2" in the 8 spot.

So the first VIN is a LB7, and the second is a LLY. All 05 trucks had a LLY engine.
yep, the first is a LB7 the second is a LLY for sure :rolleyes:

·
Registered
437 Posts
you could also submit a VIN check after you have 25 posts (you are almost there) and pull up the complete GM service only history on them in the VIN check area of the forum.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Here is what you will see if it is a 2004.5. Of course mine is an 05 LLY but just to give you an idea of what the injectors look like that are not buried in the head such as the LB7.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks guys, the front vin was the one i realy like anyway, not any more i guess.

also the 05 I juat i may buy it. the other one is a nice truck too, but its got a b&w turn over ball which is what i was wanting in it any way, but they put the placement of it too close ot the cab i think.

i know they make the one for a short bed that puts the ball directly over the rear axle most of the time you find the long bed ones in short beds. All it really does it make it about 3in closer to the cab of the truck. In ones that i seen.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would someone move the vin numers over for me thanks here the is one for the 05 truck

1GCHK23215F953374

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just took my 2004 2500HD in for a service check for injectors, they are replacing all 8, total cost to me is $95 deductible (what the shop told me) I have heard they are just rebuild injectors but better than nothing, I have 136k on my truck

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really like the 04 with the vin #1 truck, but i also know they have more problem injectors, and if they went down i would have to foot the whole bill.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm not sure why you would have to pay, the letter I received says up to 7 years of purchase date or 200k miles, if you have problems it should be fully covered, my garage knew all about it and I did not even have to tell them. Good luck, I'm sure you could also contact chevy to get the information needed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
because i know how some dealers are, local guy i work with they have replaced injectors in his duramax he brought new twice already with now 160,000 miles on her.

And i know the truck has been worked like a dog, but he also has made sure it was serviced from one end to the other. But it is a 01 truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts