Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thing just died in the driveway. Changed filter, primed, pumped, pumped, pumped. Got it to run a few times as long as 5 minutes, I kept it running by pumping. Fuel looks ok. Has anyone had a similar problem with the Duramax?

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Is it a lb7 or a lly? Check the 8th digit of your vin to tell, 1 for lb7 and 2 for lly. Hows the oil look, smell? Can you smell fuel in the oil?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a LB7, and I think the oil is fine. The dealer said something about the oil and possible injector leaks. Now I can't seem to get it started. If I follow some of the diagnostics it seems to take me to a possible pump problem.

·
3,162 Posts
My guess would be injectors, could be a pump problem but most all cases it is the injectors!

·
Registered
16 Posts
just serviced saturday,i have cleaned thefuel tank ,tried 3 different type of fuel filters,had my entire fuel system checked fuel rates,flow.the tuck starts fine when cold it only does it if its hot from driving..i work for peterbilt and my truck is maintained very well.i have exhausted all of my guesses.. i also use additives in every tank and my mileage is great.

·
3,162 Posts
just serviced saturday,i have cleaned thefuel tank ,tried 3 different type of fuel filters,had my entire fuel system checked fuel rates,flow.the tuck starts fine when cold it only does it if its hot from driving..i work for peterbilt and my truck is maintained very well.i have exhausted all of my guesses.. i also use additives in every tank and my mileage is great.
Im still saying injectors, What fuel rates were checked, you should have the return rates checked, the problem comes from the injectors returning to much fuel to the tank!

·
3,162 Posts
i dont know how this happened but im not the one with the 2004 that wont start in the driveway,but mine is hard to start.

I thought you were saying yours was hard to start when it is warm, that is a typical condition for injectors going south.

·
Registered
10 Posts
lb7 has the injectors under the valve cover
and lly you can see the injectors
and in 05 the turbo has varibale vane for better low end and
more power

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2001 lb7 had a so much rust in the hand primer it would not hold the fuel to allow the pump to pick up the fuel you could pump it hard and if someone was on the key while your priming it would go but one person could not do it replaced the primer at the filter solved!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts