Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that has a coworker that says that he has a 2004 model lb7 with 350 stock horsepower. In addition to this he says that it hold 21 quarts of oil! Not a misprint, 21 quarts. He said it was a limited build motor and only 4000 were built (seems like quit a few for a limited build), at the beginning of the year. It is in a 3/4 ton crew cab short box. Oh, he also says he gets over 25 mpg stock. I think this is a bunch of bs, am I right? I did some research, and only came up with the lb5 version of the duramax, used in larger trucks.:confused:

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I am pretty sure he is full of it. If this actually came out, it would be news to almost all the forums. I believe it is just a misinformed individual. There is a bigger diesel engine(I don't know if it is classified as a duramax) out IIRC it is like a 7.8, but it is rated for a lower hp, but a little more torque. For the most part, the 6.6 was put in the 4500 and 5500 chasis. Also, the only way he has a 350 hp LB7 is if he has a programmer on it. Another thing, if it is programmed the DIC is way off (mine says I get 27-28, but only get 16-19)....ask to go on a trip with him and prove that he gets 25 mpg....it isn't happening unless he has major highway gears on it....and even then I would say he would be lucky to get over 22.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about the 21 quarts of oil? This would be easy to prove/disprove. Could a guy add a huge oil pan to add that much oil capacity?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
How about the 21 quarts of oil? This would be easy to prove/disprove. Could a guy add a huge oil pan to add that much oil capacity?
he would be the first that i know of...i wouldn't believe every thing that you hear from this guy thats forsure..

·
Registered
262 Posts
i think he is pulling your leg

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts

No, that would be over double the size of the current oil pan.

·
Registered
35 Posts
look in HIS owners manual. it should be different if he has a different engine than the rest of us. the 7.8 is a straight 6, not a v8 like the 6.6. next time he changes his oil, be there. it will be funny if he pours in 21 qt's. it'll prolly run out of the dipstick tube. his owners manual will state 10 qt's in the Capacities section as well.

that fella has definatly been mis-informed.

MY GUESS... the saleman prolly told him this BS so he would buy the truck, and he believed it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figured that he was full of it. But....this guy had my buddy hook, line, and sinker. Which left me to ask the experts (you guys) if there was such a motor. I told Chad (my bud) that this guy was giving him a line, Chad's response: "He sure seems to know what he is talking about." and "He looked all over for this limited build motor." Thanks for the information, and now I have some reenforcement that this guy is a goof.
Abe

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He still swears up and down that such an motor exists! The reason it has more horse power is "three hole injectors" instead of 2 hole injectors. Also, the owners manual says nothing about being a different motor, capable of holding 21 quarts of oil. I need to figure out a way to get some rock solid proof this guy is pulling Chad's chain. Oh, he said that his truck is capable of getting up to 30 mpg. WoW! We all need one!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wouldn't his VIN be different too if the motor was other than a stock LB7?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He is getting me the vin#, but then what? He says it is a 6.6 litre duramax.
Could I post it here and find out some answers?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
If the 8th digit of the VIN is 1, then it is a LB7. I think there are some guys on here that can do a VIN search and it should show what it has on the truck. I would have him prove it on a dyno and go on a road trip with him. The only way that his truck has 350 hp is if someone programmed his computer or the computer was sent off for programming.

·
Registered
35 Posts
He still swears up and down that such an motor exists! The reason it has more horse power is "three hole injectors" instead of 2 hole injectors. Also, the owners manual says nothing about being a different motor, capable of holding 21 quarts of oil. I need to figure out a way to get some rock solid proof this guy is pulling Chad's chain. Oh, he said that his truck is capable of getting up to 30 mpg. WoW! We all need one!
IIRC, the injectors have 7 holes.

30 mpg...:rof :rolleyes: he is a LIAR, and that statement just proved it!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Now, I thought this guy should be left alone in his dilusional state, but when he said 3 hole injectors, I had to laugh. Does he think anyone has 2 hole injectors? How the heck could a spray plume be distributed with 2 holes? I forget, but I remember the LB7 had 8 holes. More holes doesn't give you more power.. they aren't drilled?!?. This is a funny thread. I'm really enjoying it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
update.... This guy is full of it, other coworkers call him the "one upper" since everthing he owns is bigger, better, faster than everone elses. He was just blowing smoke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok i can't take it any more. this guy is killin me!!!! does he really think every one else is stupid enough to believe his line of bs. i mean come on, if i had a chance to buy a truck that held 21 qts. i'd run he other way!!! couldn't afford to change my oil. not to mention the oil pan would pretty much be draggin the blacktop!!! two hole injectors, oh man, now thats some serious fuel atomization right there yall. but he is onto somethin. GM did produce a high output engine. the only catch is it was only available in 06' and early 07' and it's known to the rest of the world as the LBZ. ha i'm lovin what this guy's tellin ya

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Holy two year old thread batman!! You woke the dead!! LOL.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Haha this is an old thread but "one uppers" are funny I know a couple and its fun to talk to them and laugh

1 - 20 of 30 Posts