Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 of the 2005 C5500 LLY trucks. Does anyone make a programmer for these trucks? I know that MANY companies make programmers for the 2500 and 3500 trucks, BUT what about the 5500?? Thanks for any help!

Rock

·
Registered
527 Posts
you could do a triple dog or even an edge juice w/ att. i've installed quite a few of those on the kodiaks/topkicks. and people always love em'. last week i did one w/ an A2 and backup camera it looked sweet.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
juice w/attitude would be good..(in something that size, i would like to be able to monitor the EGT when towing) that is, unless you already have a pyrometer installed... are you doing exhaust or anything else on the trucks???

·
Registered
527 Posts
the one we did, we put an exhaust on it we just used a reg mbrp system and extended the head pipe down.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
I have 2 of the 2005 C5500 LLY trucks. Does anyone make a programmer for these trucks? I know that MANY companies make programmers for the 2500 and 3500 trucks, BUT what about the 5500?? Thanks for any help!

Rock
a guy i worked for has a 5500 topkick and he had the edge juice on it,it surspises most cars at the lights,he didn't increase his fuel economy but he also has a lead foot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The triple dog by bullydog states that it will only work on the 2007 LLY C5500 trucks? I built my own exhaust systems using dynomax bullet mufflers LOL and I have pyrometers installed already. Any help??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help! I now have yet another question, does anyone know of any high flow air filters available for the C5500? I have looked for K&Ns, etc...
Thanks!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i don't have a 5500 topkick but on my trucks unless i do a turbo upgrade the stock air intake does as good as anything that i know of.ps how what is your fuel economy on these trucks,just curious

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My C5500 trucks are rollback tow trucks with 21ft Steel Jerr-Dan beds on them. I just got a 2007 and I have put the triple dog programmer as well as my ustom built exhaust system. The fuel mileage stock was 9.6 mpg not loaded and with a car on the back it was 7 mpg. The mileage with the exhaust (no cat) and the programmer in Tow/economy mode is 11 mpg not loaded and around 10 mpg with a car on the back (if you keep your foot out of it). The egt with my F-350 on the back of this tow truck runs 950 degrees wide open up a mountain grade. I personally think this is totally safe.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
about the egt's,i wouldn't worry because on my dually it runs 900 to a 1,000 degrees loaded runing on setting 3 witch is additional 160hp you can see what all i've done to the truck below

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i don't have a 5500 topkick but on my trucks unless i do a turbo upgrade the stock air intake does as good as anything that i know of.ps how what is your fuel economy on these trucks,just curious
I know that if any of you guys that have the 2500/3500HD trucks and you got to the dragstrip TAKE THE AIR FILTER out, I had a 2003 2500HD 2wd truck and it picked up nearly 1 tenth in the 1/8 mile and 1.5 tenths in the 1/4 and almost 3 mph by taking the filter out. It took many many runs to achieve (35 to be exact).

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
sounds dangerous to me,with out the filter in there it,won't it pick up dirt.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
sounds dangerous to me,with out the filter in there it,won't it pick up dirt.
there isn't a "drag car" out there with air protection, just a risk you rake playing wht the big boys...

I'm not buying "remove the air filter" thing.. we have tried it on the dyno. there is some outside influence... the filter, if clean, will not harm the performance one bit. on a stock truck, there are no changes dyno wise with a stock box and delco filter. JUST my 2¢ :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree, I would not worry about the occasional trips to the track with the air filter out. If you go to the really nice big tracks most of the pits are all paved anyway (less dirt particles floating around) LOL

·
Registered
192 Posts
there isn't a "drag car" out there with air protection, just a risk you rake playing wht the big boys...

They are good for what, 3 runs before teardown? It's not dirty air that blows them up, it's the 3000 HP, they don't last long enough to benefit from clean air.

I would not run without some protection. Even the pathetic KN would be 1000% better than nothing.

Make sure you are using the right stock element (delco part number on the intake). There is a lot of restrictive aftermarket cheapies, with half the SA of the spec'd element. There are 3 Delco part numbers that will fit, also, and 2 of them are gasser elements, restrictive in the diesel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
we have a 2005 5500 as a midi/pumper on our fire dept. Don't want it to outrun corvettes, but a little more power would be nice. Someone told me that some of these were detuned from a 3500 tune. If you had someone load a stock 3500 tune would give it a little more power. Anyone else know about this??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts