Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 Duramax is in the GM shop after having died on the road the other day. After much testing and research the tech had decided the crankshaft position sensor was bad. Replaced that and it didn't solve the problem. Now he believes it must be mechanical.

So does anyone know what gives the signal to the crankshaft position sensor that is mechanical? Anyone else have this experience? I wondering what is involved is solving this.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
What is your truck doing exactly? Is it shutting off when it warms up? Are you running an Edge or Banks programmer?

·
DMAX LML
595 Posts
could the tone ring break and give an inaccurate signal?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is your truck doing exactly? Is it shutting off when it warms up? Are you running an Edge or Banks programmer?
Truck is all stock. It stopped running and wouldn't restart. It had great fuel pressure, no air in fuel, new filter, held prime, etc. It's not a fuel problem. It's electronic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Given the electrical issues I have been dealing with all week, it could be a plethora of electrical issues. Did it crank over at all ? I have an electrical issue that I am just getting a handle on and you would not believe the totally unrelated things that go haywire when it is triggered. I believe my issue is the 4x4 switches however when it acts up engine will turn over but not start, windows will not operate, door locks will not operate, get hot air out of drivers side and ac on passengers side, gauges go dead the list goes on, all over a bad 4x4 switch.

Oh by the way it never threw an engine code in any of the instances.

·
Registered
553 Posts
there is a tsb for loose reluctor ring , it is what the senssor reads , if the wires are good from sensor to ecm, then it is going to be ecm or reluctor wheel/ring it tell you to take a screw driver through the sensor hole and try to move the ring if it moves then the bolts holding it is loose what are the codes

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
ok if you crank the engine...like hold the key to "start", does the engine crank for ~2 seconds and then stop cranking despite the fact that you are still holding the key to "start"??

·
Registered
65 Posts
loose reluctor wheel. I just fixed this on my truck 2 months ago. dealer will be expensive. You could just fly me and my buddy in to fix it. We can have it torn down and fixed in 6 hours. you will also get a new water pump and a coolant flush if you do the fix

·
Registered
65 Posts
search p0336 to read my fix story

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
loose reluctor wheel. I just fixed this on my truck 2 months ago. dealer will be expensive. You could just fly me and my buddy in to fix it. We can have it torn down and fixed in 6 hours. you will also get a new water pump and a coolant flush if you do the fix
Thanks for the info. I'd be happy to fly you here but I had already towed it to the dealer and they had already began working on it. So it will just be expensive. It's a smaller G.M. dealer though and they guys in the shop seem honest. I've gone back there and spent some time with them and they mechanic at one point had even mentioned that they wouldn't charge me for changing out the crank sensor since that turned out not to be the problem. I think these guys are going to be fair.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Resolved.

Chevy dealer replaced the "exciter ring" and the water pump while there. The reluctor or exciter ring had lost it's bolts into the oil pan and was spinning free from the crankshaft.

Complete cost of the repair including tax was $3,090.00 .

So far truck is running like a new one. Engine is very smooth at all speeds.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Damm, that wasn't cheap........

·
Registered
1 Posts
got a 2005 gmc duramax starts an running an seting code p0340 an p0341 shut off wont start for a hour an starts an sets codes again replaced crank senser an cam senser still doing it checked wheel in motor not loses lost with it need help

·
Registered
2 Posts
05 Silverado with bad Exciter ring.

I have a 05 Silverado 2500HD with a 6.6 Duramax. I currently have my truck at a dealership since the truck will not start or run, They told me the exciter ring has either broken or come off. Since it is very rare for the three bolts to have all come off it is more likely broken. They have advised me to have a remanufactured engine installed at over $10,000. Basically does this sound right? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
got a 2005 gmc duramax starts an running an seting code p0340 an p0341 shut off wont start for a hour an starts an sets codes again replaced crank senser an cam senser still doing it checked wheel in motor not loses lost with it need help
My 2005 is doing the exact same, please tell me you know how to fix this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts