Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 2005 gmc duramax serviced all this past fall. uncle brought it to me with a fuel leak. I found a fuel filter in frnt of fuel tank.. like a gasolen fuel fiter..
I cannot find a part number or listing for this.it looks like a gas fuel filter.. napa has no listing?

·
Premium Member
3,676 Posts
Doesn't sound like it belongs there. Mine doesn't have anything like that. Is that where it's leaking?

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
I have a 05 as well and I don't have that either.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Was the fuel cooler still in place, somebody may have used a fuel filter to jump out the cooler?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words..

If you could take a pic of the underneath of the truck that would be very helpful.

·
Premium Member
10,840 Posts
Yea there is usually a cooler in front of the tank, but I believe it is on the return line if that helps.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
All duramax trucks came with a small radiator looking fuel cooler-[except the LML] It cools the bypassed fuel not used by the engine and returns to the tank. In "Rust Belt" the lines corrode and some will remove the cooler, and use tubing or hose to connect. This line is 3/8 size.

The fuel supply line from the fuel tank is 1/2 inch size-- much larger than the return line.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
sub'd for pic

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Is there suppose to be a fuel cooler?? If thsrs what it is called??
Here you can view the black cooler coil, just in front of the tank shield and behind the round cross-support. Quick-Connects are behind the cooler for the hard lines you see running down the frame rail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry got back so late. 1ft and a half of snow.. been plowing. but finally got to truck and he said it had a fuel leak awhile ago and did not know what they did. so yes it was bypassed. I could not really take a good picture with slush and snow ect under truck.so I done the same I bypassed with a filter.. thanks every one for reply

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Well, if it was mine, I would pull the gasoline type filter off and put a barbed fitting in its place. That will get it back on the road.

Next I would look for a new fuel cooler and try to get it put all back to factory under there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts