Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie to the site and diesel trucks. I just bought a 2005 LLY. I have added an air intake and my next step is a programer. I am in no way interested in "high" performance but mostly in fuel economy. Can onyone recommend a certain programer? I plan to go with exaust and a doewn pipe next. If I am screwing up dont hold back and let me know. Thanks in advance for you input and help.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Welcome to the group!

I would say for the price the Diablosport Predator is about the best bet. Pretty affordable and a real smooth, strong runner. You can set it to economy and you'll be ok. Should help with mileage a bit. So will the exhaust. When you get ready for that, MBRP rocks! I am kinda partial to the cool duals, but even the single is nice.

Another option is the Edge Juice with the Attitude, adjustable on the fly and includes gauges. Nice combo deal.

·
Registered
181 Posts
We have the Intimidator programmer for that application. It is very easy to use, with three different power choices in it. It will read and clear diagnostic trouble codes, take the top end speed limiter off the vehicle, reset the transmission shift points and calibrate the speedometer if you have changed tire size. Give us a call and we can discuss your options.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i am running the ppe programmer and i love'em but the best thing i like i gained 3 to 4 miles a gallon and i run the ppe on two different trucks and ppe has different levels of programmers with different levels of performance..i never ran the diablo or intimidator but i hear good results from there products...this was just my experience

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys I bought the edge. It should be here this week. I plan to keep it low at first and like I said earlier i am not "real" concerned about speed. My question is can i show off or play a little on the higher settings without tearing up any thing? What setting do you guys recomend? Thanks again for all your help.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i can tell you from experience you don't run any higher then 150hp with 200 as your max,unless you are planning on a upgrade for your stock tranny....you can play all you want to around 100hp and not hurt anything....good luck there with your new toys

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ok guys I bought the edge. It should be here this week. I plan to keep it low at first and like I said earlier i am not "real" concerned about speed. My question is can i show off or play a little on the higher settings without tearing up any thing? What setting do you guys recomend? Thanks again for all your help.

The only thing to be concerned with is the transmission and the adaptive learning that it goes through. Every time you change the power levels the transmission has to relearn how to shift. This can take up to a couple hundred miles for it to be completely right. If you do jump the power levels up and are playing around expect it to shift a little funny for a while.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
The only thing to be concerned with is the transmission and the adaptive learning that it goes through. Every time you change the power levels the transmission has to relearn how to shift. This can take up to a couple hundred miles for it to be completely right. If you do jump the power levels up and are playing around expect it to shift a little funny for a while.
Excatly, this the only reason i really dont like the adjustable on the fly boxes for the allison truck though they do work great on a manual trans truck!!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. I will be back next week looking for the aftermarket tranny!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts