Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Duramax will shut off appx. ten seconds after I start it. It then will not start again until i pump the primer on the fuel filter. This has happened multiple times in the last week. I heard if it starts after you pump the primer it means your injectors could be failing. Any thoughts?

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Have you recently replaced you fuel filter? i know sometimes people leave the drain valve open or don't have the filter tight enough.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Also, if you have a programmer you could check the injecter balances and know if any injecters are going out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced my fuel filter about two months ago, and this problem just started a week ago, so I don't think its that. I have the bully dog and it only reads dtc's it won't tell me much else..

·
Registered
2006 Chevy 2500HD CCSB LBZ
2,192 Posts
Ensure that the bleeder screw is secure. check housing for any leaks. is the truck park on an incline?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have checked for leakage, there is nothing, the truck is parked on a substantial incline..

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
I would still look around the filter to see if housing is cracked or something stupid like that. 05 aren't really known for injecter problems....doesn't mean that it isn't injecters but, worth a look before throwing good money on injecters.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
^^^ nevermind im a slow typer

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Also, like SEtexan said, you might want to get the balance rates checked. There were a couple posts on here about trucks losing prime while parked on an incline. Anyone else remeber what thread that was?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will go outside and check again quick.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!!!!

Being that this is your first post

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Are you making oil? or any white smoke? These would be signs of injector problems. Most common problem when losing prime, is a leaking WIF sensor, fuel filter not on tight(I use teflon tape to ensure a tight fit) or fuel filter housing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is no leakage I could find at all. And sure enough I started it and it died right after and I had to go through the process again. My buddy has a snap-on code reader would that be able to test the injectors? I will research the incline issue.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Are you making oil? or any white smoke? These would be signs of injector problems. Most common problem when losing prime, is a leaking WIF sensor, fuel filter not on tight(I use teflon tape to ensure a tight fit) or fuel filter housing.
I am not sure of the snap on code reader, someone else? You want to check the balance rates, and I am not sure it that one will or not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No smoke or anything. Parking on the incline could be the answer. Now that it was mentioned I remember the problem came to when I started parkin on a different and steeper part of my driveway. I will move my truck to old place and see if that fixes the problem. Also I am consistently getting a couple trouble codes concerning my EGR valve. Is this normal with bigger exhaust?? (this is my first diesel, I'm tryin to learn)

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
You probably have a leak in the filter housing area. The CP3 pulls fuel from the fuel tank through the filter and housing and into the CP3, where it is pressurized and sent to the injectors.-- SO, any small leak will allow air into the system and let the fuel in the fuel line return to the tank.

Sometimes do not show where the leak is, because the filter area is under negative pressure when running. (there is no lift pump) Common areas of the leak are the filter gasket, bleeder screw, WIF sensor, Heater o-ring and primer o-rings. New filter housings are about $500.

If you do not see a leak, you can pressurize the fuel tank-- (NO MORE THAN 10 LBS) and then see if there is any leaks. I have used the pressure side of the shop vac to pressurize the tank, as it does not build pressure. Cover the hose with a rag to prevent any dirt for being blown into the tank. Then check all around the filter housing for signs of fuel- that will be where the problem is.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
357 Posts
did you check the sensor on the bottom of the filter to make sure it is tight? it just sounds like your getting air in the fuel system

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will go ahead and do the pressure check, do you just leave the vacuum on for the time you are checking? it will not build any/too much pressure in the tank?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
You should fill out your sig so we know what you have, were in mn you from?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts