Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the DIC display fuel filter life determined by mileage or actual fuel filter condition? I have reset my fuel filter life several times after replacement but within 1000 miles it shows 0%. I have been using bio20 since we can't seem to find anything else where we live and I believe the '05 is not supposed to use more than B5. Could my filter really be clogged in less than 3000 miles?

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Does the DIC display fuel filter life determined by mileage or actual fuel filter condition? I have reset my fuel filter life several times after replacement but within 1000 miles it shows 0%. I have been using bio20 since we can't seem to find anything else where we live and I believe the '05 is not supposed to use more than B5. Could my filter really be clogged in less than 3000 miles?
Filter life is calculated with an algorithm that takes multiple factors like miles driven, engine hours, engine load ect into account to come up with an estimated filter life. There is NO system on board to mechanically sample fuel, or to monitor restriction of the filter.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks J83. Any idea why after resetting to 100% 3 times in under 3000 miles I was back to 0% today?

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Mine would go to zero when I had a big tune on the stock cp4 pump. If actual rail pressure stays to far below commanded rail pressure it would do that. I did it numerous times just to see for sure. I'd reset it and then do a WOT run and it'd be back on 0% lol

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Ah I guess your on an lly, I guess I overlooked that. Mine was an lml but may be the same way who knows.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,310 Posts
B10/B20 has a solvent action on the fuel system, cleaning out the asphaltines (black in your filter) coating everything in the fuel system.

If you don't (or never have) run B20 often, the 1st time can/will quickly clog up your fuel filter, as it cleans the fuel system and injectors of (years?) build up.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
Have you ever cut open your fuel filters to see what they looked like when you changed them?

That can be very instructive when dealing with a situation like this. Keeping a record of them also helps to evaluate filter performance or sometimes the lack thereof.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some more info.... I have been using B20 for years. This was the first extended trip we have taken (pulling trailer) about 6500 miles. I had about 1000 miles on a new filter before we left. At about 7000 miles I checked and I was at 0% F Filter life. I changed filter in a campground,reset to 100% and drove about 700 miles. I checked again and I was back to 0%. Reset and drove 1200 miles and was back at 0%. Reset and have driven about 400 miles and I'm back to 0%. If DIC doesn't actually measure filter integrity, what could be causing it to revert to 0% so quickly? By the way this is an '05 with 42,200. miles on it.
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Thanks J83. Any idea why after resetting to 100% 3 times in under 3000 miles I was back to 0% today?
Some more info.... I have been using B20 for years. This was the first extended trip we have taken (pulling trailer) about 6500 miles. I had about 1000 miles on a new filter before we left. At about 7000 miles I checked and I was at 0% F Filter life. I changed filter in a campground,reset to 100% and drove about 700 miles. I checked again and I was back to 0%. Reset and drove 1200 miles and was back at 0%. Reset and have driven about 400 miles and I'm back to 0%. If DIC doesn't actually measure filter integrity, what could be causing it to revert to 0% so quickly? By the way this is an '05 with 42,200. miles on it.
Thanks for any suggestions.

My guess would be an air leak in the filter head thats causing the truck to run out of fuel, or possibly a weak CP3, but the filter heads a lot more likely

Edit: i should clarify "run out of fuel". Since air is compressible, and liquids like fuel are not, when air enters the high pressure side of the system, the fuel rail pressure falls off sharply as the air acts like a spring in the system absorbing energy as its compressed. This will cause the commanded vs actual fuel rail pressures to be off and the truck will perceive this as a plugged filter and prompt you to change it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a similar issue on my lmm. Truck was fine normal driving but when pulling a load fuel filter life would go to zero, never got a low pressure code. I assume your truck will have the same rubber line down by the trans and also on top of engine on back driver side, it would suck flat and looked kinked. Several people have replaced line's and/or added a lift pump. I added a lift pump and have not had any more issues. Search for fuel line collapse duramax. Just something else to check.

Best of luck,
xxMT

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Had a similar issue on my lmm. Truck was fine normal driving but when pulling a load fuel filter life would go to zero, never got a low pressure code. I assume your truck will have the same rubber line down by the trans and also on top of engine on back driver side, it would suck flat and looked kinked. Several people have replaced line's and/or added a lift pump. I added a lift pump and have not had any more issues. Search for fuel line collapse duramax. Just something else to check.

Best of luck,
xxMT
Yup, thats an option as well, the age of the truck slipped my mind. Especially if you have run bio fuel for a long time, check the hoses mentioned above. though, if you have a lift pump the hoses should not suck flat even if they are shot. If you do not have a lift pump, that is not the solution to this issue if you do have rotten lines, the lift pump is a bandaid by preventing vacuum in the lines, however the lines need to be replaced as sooner or later (probably sooner) they will fail completely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts