Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some pictures of my truck after I put her into a ditch. The road was arguably not made for 55mph and to my understanding was not banked throughout the entire turn which litterally stopped halfway through the turn. Doing 55 on that turn was not a good idea.(for anyone). When I wanted to entirely blame myself for the accident, everyone who came to help said it couldve happened to anyone and that the road was a rough one so i tried not to be so hard on myself. The truck just walked off the road.(Tire marks told it all) The police officer (very cool guy) told me that it was worse than hitting a semi head on going even faster and that he had totaled his cruzer doin only 45 on the same roads. He was very cool about the whole thing and only issued me a citation for not reducing speed to prevent an accident.
Scary truth is the western plow mounts saved my bros, cousins and my own life. When the truck ran off the road into the shoulder it was heading straight for a 4.5ft deep water main ditch. It had a 1ft thick concrete wall to direct water into a drain. There was no stopping in grass so i made sure i cleared the ditch by turning the wheel and put the pedal to the floor and i did so just in time to prevent the truck from being stopped dead from the impact. (freakin thing even spun the tires doin 58mph) Even turning the wheel did little to over come the force driving us off the road and into the ditch. The left front plow mount hit the concrete wall(cracked it) and sent the truck 10ft into the air and then impacted into 3 (6" round) trees on the front end of the vehicle 40ft away from the first hit. Then continued into the ground putting a 3ft hole where the front impacted yet again. From there the truck did a 180 degree spin backwards and continued farther down the ditch right off the road. Hit the ground again went another 30ft and stopped.
We all immediantly got out and walked down the road and called for help. :help Other than some scratches and a broken thumb, no one was seriously hurt. When we went to the shop where the truck was brought we really saw the true damage. In result the engine crushed the tranny, and threw the drive shaft from the truck. The rear end was torn from the frame on the right rear side and was bent. In the end, without a doubt, im convinced if i was driving anything other than that 2500HD truck, myself, my bro, and my cousin would probably be dead. Gotta owe it to the duramax...

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics

Here are the photos' i took after the police and paramedics arrived.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
WOW...:eek: It is a miracle that noone got hurt. From what it looks like, yall must have been sore for the next week or so. Glad that everyone is ok! Hope you had full coverage insurance. So I'm assuming your back in another D-Max or what?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thats crazy.
short from the cab being totally smashed in it looks like it could have rolled off a cliff,,, but glad everyone made it out okay

·
2500HD Club Member
1,500 Posts
Glad you guys made it out ok sucks about your truck but they make those every day

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya it was truely amazing that everyone got out like we did. All that matters is that we were all ok. The truck is replaceable, my family and friends are not. And to answer your question Cowboyslawncare, i had full coverage and the insurance company really really came through for me big time. Made a good sum of money and im proud to say that today(11-2-10) i picked up my brand new 2011 Chevy silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel Extended-cab short bed. Z71 and all. LT1. Used the insurance money to pay off half of the cost. Ill post some pictures asap

·
I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY
2,598 Posts
glad you and your family is ok man! the lord was with ya on that one, and i know this sounds kinda bad but it sounds like u got a pretty sweet truck...

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Is it just me or did the air bags never go off?

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
oh wait if i could read id realize that you said the pics are from after the police and paramedics arrived

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sounds like you got yourself a nice ride! Glad your ins. company took care of you good.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it just me or did the air bags never go off?
Yep, never went off... It didnt matter though. The seat belts keep us from hitting the dash and wheel.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
And people worry about the bags going off when plowing!!!! This could be a good question to ask gm. Might get the other half of that new truck paid for.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya probably could... Speaking of New Truck!!! Go look for my new thread, i have 5 pictures of my new truck.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its already back!!! Funny thing too, looks alot like a brand new 2011 Duramax... :neener

·
Registered
885 Posts
last picture shows how not to do a muffler delete!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yah i guess you could say i got a little aggressive in trying to get it off really quick...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts