Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I NEED to improve The suspension on my 2006 Duramax short bed pick up. I pull a 30 foot fifth wheel RV. Returning on interstate 25 in Colorado recently it felt like I was riding in a Hay wagon. I won’t mention how the pot money here in Colorado hasn’t improved the roads whatsoever but thats another discussion. I really feel like there should be something I can do to improve this ride. Also my wife has a pacemaker that’s activated by motion and just riding in the truck had her heart rate increasing to over 120 bpm… Very uncomfortable for her. I wanna make this truck last but I need reliable information on how I can improve the ride. Thanks in advance for any information you guys can provide.

·
Registered
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 6.6 LBZ
25 Posts
The stretches of I-25 through Denver and Colorado Springs are the worst. I don't know that there is much to be done suspension wise on a truck that can get rid of the kind of "bucking" that happens.

One thing that might help are a decent set of tires. I just put on a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S and they ride MUCH smoother than the all-terrains I had on it before. You could also look at adjustable shocks as well.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
I’m looking to do the same. My current theory is to removing the load leaf, add a block to keep the unloaded height the same and then add air bags to keep the truck from squatting too much when loaded. Also, Deaver makes a mini spring pack to replace the load leaf with but this increases the ride height and I really don’t want to do that right now.

·
Registered
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 6.6 LBZ
25 Posts
I’m looking to do the same. My current theory is to removing the load leaf, add a block to keep the unloaded height the same and then add air bags to keep the truck from squatting too much when loaded. Also, Deaver makes a mini spring pack to replace the load leaf with but this increases the ride height and I really don’t want to do that right now.
I have thought about doing the same, but am concerned about axle wrap. Do you plan to put traction bars on as well?

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
Is the motion that you are feeling in the truck vertical or horizontal? Each motion requires a different fix.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Over the years of reading the forum I've heard the following solutions. Each with varying opinion on how well it worked out. Here is what I've read and done on my 06 LBZ:
  • Cognito/Kryptonite or whoever (I went with Cognito) UCA with uniball ball joint. Whether you are lifted, leveled, or stock, the angle change and ease of swapping out the wear component is worth the investment.
  • Upgraded shocks - Bilstien 5100's are probably most popular, but Fox and Rancho get mentioned a lot. Currently, Bilstein's are backordered....I'm still waiting for mine to arrive to replace my worn set which have worked well. My truck is leveled so I did the longer ones with a small shock extender too.
  • Replace body mounts. This does two things. 1) it fixes the body sag that occurs over time making the line of the cab and bed match again, and 2) the replacement part is for the newer trucks and is a much larger rubber component that I found did improve ride quality a bit.
  • Air bags - I put on a set of Airlift 5000's last year and have been very impressed with them so far. Towing is a huge difference, and most importantly, with my leveled truck loaded with our 33' 5th wheel the squat is gone.
  • Proper tires / pressure. I'm running Toyo AT2's with essentially a 33 on a 20" wheel and I run my fronts at 60 PSI and rears at 78 PSI when towing, 55-60 PSI when empty. Inflation makes a difference for sure both on ride quality and tire wear.
Finally, the last thing I've read about is the shulastic shackles (sp?) which are supposed to help the rear end ride better. They were too pricey for me to do at the time I was considering and at this point I think I've done enough to make for a better ride, but down the road this would likely be the next upgrade.

All of this is just my opinion/what I've read on this forum, I'm by no means an expert or telling you this will solve all your problems. However, I'll say the list above that I've done has definitely improved my ride with a leveled truck.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
I have 5100 Bilsteins on the rear of my truck currently and they do help the ride quality considerably. Still waiting for the fronts to come off never ending back order.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just did a round of suspension upgrades on my 2007 3500 Classic SRW @347k miles. Seems like all these old parts were originals!

Kryptonite bump stops - $60
Bilstein 5100s all around - $400
Moog UCA / LCA bushings and ball joints in stock arms - $80
Swaybar end links - $25
Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires and alignment - $1550

Drives like a different truck now. No more bucking or clunking noises and a lot less body roll when cornering. I should have done all this way sooner!

I have some new motor mounts ordered and on the way. After I get those on I think I will just drive it and hopefully not "have" to wrench on it for a while.
Of course I am sure that I will find some "optional" updates to do at some point though........SMDH.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The stretches of I-25 through Denver and Colorado Springs are the worst. I don't know that there is much to be done suspension wise on a truck that can get rid of the kind of "bucking" that happens.

One thing that might help are a decent set of tires. I just put on a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S and they ride MUCH smoother than the all-terrains I had on it before. You could also look at adjustable shocks as well.
You know exactly what I am talking about, bucking is a great term to describe the ride. We were southbound from Cheyenne going to Broomfield. I have BFGoodrich AT tires that seem to ride as smooth as my old all season tires, however this could be a contributing factor. I will try the "chalk method" for tire inflation which was a tip found on this forum. I raised the front ride height with the torsion bars which has already improved the ride and just ordered a set of sulastic shackles (also a tip from this forum). Hope fully these changes will make some improvement. Thanks so much for your response!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts