Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. A little info on my truck. Cold Air kit. Egr delete. Lift pump. Trans go jr. Full exhaust n dp.

It has new ujoints, axle shafts, brakes, wheel bearings has had an alignment last week. Just did the t case pump rub fix new bushing and seal installed as well. I'm fighting a vibration on the highway above 40mph . It feels as if you're on gravel slightly and will shake mirrors. It's got brand new tires and they have been re balanced 3 times.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought I had a caliper sticking so I replaced all 4, no change. I'm leaning towards rear end axle bearings or what not but I have no seal leakage and the fluid looks decent just dirty. All new fluid in everything.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Was the truck having the issue prior to doing the ujoints, axle shafts, brakes, wheel bearings? If so you have something slightly off in the reinstallation of your new/rebuilt parts. Give us a time line of when the vibration started

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it was having the issue prior to the install of all the new parts. The only parts I have yet to dig in and replace are rear axle bearings, or anything in the rear diff. But I've changed all fluids and it looks decent no metal in any of them. I've ran the vehichle on jacks upto 55 mph and no noticing noise vibration. It's almost like it needs to have wheels/suspension loaded to happen. It doesn't vary side to side but is immediately noticeable upon acceleration. M

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Have seen one deal like that and the pinion bearing was junk but you would hear howling as well. Check your tranny mount. Also what did your slip yoke look like?

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Crew cab short bed mike, it's a single.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Not sure on the 2wd, since I've never seen or dealt with one, but all ccsb 4x4 trucks are one piece.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea mine is the single aluminum shaft. The vibration was there prior to u joints. I made sure to mark yoke and re align.

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
Just for shits and giggles why don't you borrow a set of wheels and tires from a buddy and see what happens

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
No, I meant excessive wear on the yoke, had a virbration in my 05' from a worn yoke. And x2 see if you can borrow tires/wheels, I've bought new tires that wouldnt balance

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll give that a shot I have a few buddies with 8lugs. The yoke didn't look bad. Nor did the splines. I had seal issues in the t case since I bought the truck. Turned out to be a bad t case output shaft bushing. Replaced that and the seal during pump rub fix that's good to go now no leaks or play.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I went ahead and changed the front diff fluid for laughs as well as check stub shafts for play (needle bearings). After that I tore into the rear end. To change fluid and inspect. This is what I found. Fluid was clean as a whistle no chunks inside but after cleaning the pumpkin and gears with brake clean I found this on the ring gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What could cause the end/edge of the ring gear to wear like this. Everything else inside of the rear end appears new looking, pinion looks good. The only thing I noticed was the sides of the spider or side gears in the carrier looked to be thin where they meet the carrier/slide back n fourth to engage. I'll try and get a picture. It may just be a casting flaw

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Pretty sure that's just a flaw they are thin any how, the wear on the gears is odd looking but unsure why they are like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I chased a vibration in my lbz for a while.i changed bearings , ujoints, and fluids no luck. Even adjusted the rear diff angle because its shackled for a 2" drop. I changed the cab mounts and it went away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts