Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching and still can't figure out if all my numbers add up. Need help. I'm new to the diesel and aftermarket performance. I bought a 2006 lbz ended up putting the edge cs on. Before i did this the guy that had it before me put 4inch exhaust all the way back to a 6in tip and K&n airfilter. Before the edge was installed he raced a 2005 duramax with the edge chip and walked all over him. After installing the edge. I'm pushing 32# of boost running 1/4 mile in 13.7 thats hitting the govenor at 96mph. 0-60 in 5.6sec. I tried racing a ford and ended up breaking tie rods off the line. Yes in 4wd. Bad idea:thumb. and the guy stopped and said the edge isnt going to beat him that when i get eflive to come back and try again. Well i ended up racing a guy with stage 5 suncoast tranny and eflive programmer and i won against him. The question is. Are these numbers right and should i be pushing 32# of boost on a stock turbo or would that be a aftermarket turbo. How do i tell if its aftermarket. Probably a dumb question and waist of time but figured i'd give it a try.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
32 is normal for a stocker, its right at the limit but it isn't unheard of

·
Registered
306 Posts
my turbo spikes around 36. But it depends on which tune i run. You learned a valuable lesson..... Our tie rods are weak. But some sleeves on it and do it again. I rape mine pretty hard and havent broke any tire rods yet Knock on wood. I raced a fellow duramax the other day at the street races and he got smoked. He was in 2wd i was in 4 and walked him bad. He shouldnt of been talkin smack lol.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
You beat an EFI tuned built tranny truck with a stock tranny and edge????????????????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't believe you...........................................

And a tuned LLY will smoke your stock LBZ..................................

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
You beat an EFI tuned built tranny truck with a stock tranny and edge????????????????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't believe you...........................................

And a tuned LLY will smoke your stock LBZ..................................
Agreed. I'm gonna guess he was BSing you.

·
Registered
781 Posts
It all depends what EFI tune he was running.... did he try to write a tune himself? does he have a DSP or just a low HP tune loaded? I like how the ford guy told him to get EFI! EFI is just software that allows you to tune your own truck-without someone who knows what they are doing its worthless that’s why most people buy custom tunes with their EFI-but if you are going to add other aftermarket parts EFI is the only way to go

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
It all depends what EFI tune he was running.... did he try to write a tune himself? does he have a DSP or just a low HP tune loaded? I like how the ford guy told him to get EFI! EFI is just software that allows you to tune your own truck-without someone who knows what they are doing its worthless that’s why most people buy custom tunes with their EFI-but if you are going to add other aftermarket parts EFI is the only way to go
I agree.. just because he has efi live does not mean he has a hot tune loaded up.

i run about 30psi and then spike to 38psi on my stock turbo when she loads up

·
Registered
781 Posts
38PSI?!? Thats a lot esp on the stock air system! is that just when you let off?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes, that makes since:thumb a (tuned) lly will take a (stock) lbz. He had edge on extreme setting and the lbz walked on him with no programmer. It was pretty beat up. Guess will use that for the reason. 32psi is getting on it. if im doing like 30mph and stomp on it itll hit that. most time racing ill be around 30psi. And that's just what the kid said he had efi live with suncoast tranny. I don't know if i believe it either but one day he came up and didnt even slow down to call me out just pulled up and punched it so i took off after him and he endded up turning off. Then i stopped at gas station one day and he pulled up and started asking what i had done and made the comment like ya u kept up pretty good and i started laughing and told him lets try it again. So we went out on a straight highway and raced a couple times and he couldnt stay with me. then he pulled up and said he had to go home his tranny was slipping. and i havent talked to him since. i did see him the other day as he blew by me and didnt stop to try again. so who knows. Think he spent more than the 6$ of fuel he put in at the gas station the same night. And Yes im upgrading all front end suspension with cognito set up so im not the one sitting at the light with the broken tie rods i hope. Thanks for the help i appreciate it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also on the EFI your saying you tune that yourself. How is that any better than other programs. Specially saying i have no idea on most of this stuff wouldn't i be better off without it instead of trying to screw it up programmin it myself. I'm not a ford fan at all. I don't have any reason why. i just dont like them. Specially the comment the guy made after i screwed up my tierods i wasnt to happy lol.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
H
Yes, that makes since:thumb a (tuned) lly will take a (stock) lbz. He had edge on extreme setting and the lbz walked on him with no programmer. It was pretty beat up. Guess will use that for the reason. 32psi is getting on it. if im doing like 30mph and stomp on it itll hit that. most time racing ill be around 30psi. And that's just what the kid said he had efi live with suncoast tranny. I don't know if i believe it either but one day he came up and didnt even slow down to call me out just pulled up and punched it so i took off after him and he endded up turning off. Then i stopped at gas station one day and he pulled up and started asking what i had done and made the comment like ya u kept up pretty good and i started laughing and told him lets try it again. So we went out on a straight highway and raced a couple times and he couldnt stay with me. then he pulled up and said he had to go home his tranny was slipping. and i havent talked to him since. i did see him the other day as he blew by me and didnt stop to try again. so who knows. Think he spent more than the 6$ of fuel he put in at the gas station the same night. And Yes im upgrading all front end suspension with cognito set up so im not the one sitting at the light with the broken tie rods i hope. Thanks for the help i appreciate it
Something is wrong with those other trucks.........
A LLY running an exreme Edge tune would ruin a stock LBZ......
Wait untill you run across a PPE or PROPERLY TUNED EFI truck and you will see what good tuning can do. Your going to get whacked...............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts