Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 extended cab short bed is long overdue for shocks. It has the lift via the torsion bars from when the truck was almost new. Has just under 130k on it now and is bone stock other than the tires now being 265's.

I read on here that the Blistien shocks were a good choice. Sine I have the height adjustment in the front end do I need the 5100's or stick with the 4600 series.

I do some heavy towing but not all the time. The truck needs to handle well on the highway and around town. I don't really do any off roading other than the beach maybe once a year and some snowplowing in the winter.

Looking for my best option that is better than the stock ones for the front and rear. I also currently have the timkin bump stops in the front for the plow.

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just replaced stock shocks on a 2006 I bought 3 weeks ago...they had 167K on them! I put Monroe Reflex on and they ride really nice....read multiple threads where people like them.
Got them from Rock Auto for $35-38 a piece....full set set me back less than $150. Changed them all in the driveway in less than 2hrs (first time)

·
Registered
233 Posts
What do you mean lift via the torsion bars? Just cranked up a bit? If thats all that was done, stock shocks will be fine.

I need some shocks too and Ive always liked bilsteins but Im not sure if their price is really justified on my truck. Just need some stock replacements. Might check out those ones on rockauto, wxguru.

How much a difference did you notice after you swapped them out?

Ive put shocks (stock/aftermarket) on quite a few vehicles over the years and Ive never really went WOW afterwards. Even on some trucks that had blown shocks..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plumbcut, I just had the tire shop turn up on the torsion bars to square the front off to the rear when the truck was almost new. I also saw somewhere that might have required shock extenders which was never done, this something I need to add or not needed for just cracking up the bars?

I can't imagine a shock will make a huge difference in ride, but they are due anyways so I figured I might want better than stock, but no idea what to get

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,976 Posts
I put Rancho 5000s on my LBZ. I got the longer travel shock for the front and it did improve the ride. My truck only had 80k on it when I changed them. If you raised your front end then you will want the longer shocks or extensions. There is only so much the shock will effectively travel. When they are extended to far they will not dampen the ride the way they should.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Go with the 5100's all around. They are good for towing, & give a better ride comfort (empty) then the 4600's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts