Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't find anyone else with this problem, but my father in-law has an 06 LLY, and it just recently started to overheat when pulling his camper. Only on hill climb. He has pulled it all the way to Mississippi from Maryland and didn't have any problems til he got back to Maryland, but without load its fine, and on level pull its fine. Only on incline it just starts to heat up pretty quick. Anyone else seen anything similar. I told him to throw an aftermarket intake on it just for S&G because it wouldn't hurt, but not sure if that will fix it like the 04-05 LLY's. His cooling system seems fine, and I believe the truck only has around 48k miles.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Is it possible that he's driving it like a goof ball and pushing it way too hard? It's possible to simply over heat them when going through the mountains. All the fluids are topped off and where they should be?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fluids are good, and as far as the crazy driver, I highly doubt it. He is 55, and drives pretty normal. Unlike myself.......I need to see it happen to get a better idea, but at the moment I am not sure what it could be. The camper he is pulling is a 40ft 5th wheel which I know is heavy, but no where near the max weight of the D-max.

·
Registered
859 Posts
cleen the fins between the coolant rad and the innercooler. you will be shocked at how much build up you get that ya cant see. Try that and put a LBZ mouthpiece on it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
06 stock has the lbz mouthpiece. That's what we order to go on 05's

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Is he overloading the camper with a ton of stuff?

·
Registered
14 Posts
X2-- On cleaning between the radiator and intercooler. Had the same prob with my 05 at 170k Miles. Cleaned really well and not a problem since even pulling in Texas heat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts