Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, so here is the deal.

I have been getting the dreaded p003a p2563 p2564 codes for the turbo vane positioning sensor. drivability has not changes other than the fuel mileage has gone down the toilet.

so instead of chasing my tail and buying a sensor and not having that work I took it to the dealer and had them look at it. So they hooked it up to the computer and they said things were not syncing so they recalibrated what they could (so im thinking they are just talking about the sensor) and got the sensor relearned and the vanes sweeping like they should.

but in the end they said if it happens again they would need to put on a new turbo. why? If the vanes are sweeping and not sticking why would it need a new turbo? to me it would be a sensor that is starting to go out. maybe?

what are your guys thoughts before I let me talk me into a turbo?

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Well I don't have an answer for you on why but I'm gonna tell you that I had the exact same experience.. Had codes for turbo sensor and took it to dealer and they messed with it and then told me that a sensor might fix it for a little while but in the end a new turbo was what they recommended.. Mechanic said he had seen it numerous times that new sensor or actuator would fix it for a while but when turbo starts going out this is what happens, takes the sensor out first.. I don't really understand how or why but I ended putting a 3794 on myself.. (oh and my sig don't have my other truck in jt right now.. This was on a 06 also)

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what I was thinking as well. if I need to put on a new one I would do the garrett stage 1 3794. how did you like it?

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
It's nice.. I actly got the stage 2 and swapped it out myself.. Took about 10 hours, didn't run into any problems really either.. It has a whistle like you wouldn't believe now, definitely a nice upgrade..

·
Registered
138 Posts
not saying its going to work i have no idea. but you could try taking it apart and cleaning it like the ford 6.0l turbo if you dont have the cash for the new turbo. iv take a lot of 6.0 turbos apart and had to clean them. but like i said i have no idea if it will for your turbo.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The unison ring is sticking..Only way to fix it is to r&r the turbo or clean it. After removing mine to clean I decided to just swap it out with a reman. Glad I did the truck performs so much better now, I also put a mbrp down pipe on at the same time. If looking into a reman look at RAE Reman Auto Electronics They rebuild them right and great price/service.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Also Rerought the PVC so all that oil does not go back into the system and turbo which I believe is the culprit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts