Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an aftermarket stereo in my 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the Bose sound system. Currently, i only have one speaker working, the other 3 have no sound coming from them. Any idea what could cause this? or a work around for the Bose system. Im tired of listening to my music through one speaker.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Pull the head unit and check your connections. first place to start. who installed it?

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
All the connections are fine. The previous owner installed it
Have you pulled the head to confirm? If connections are fine then its a bad head or bad amp, but its unlikely 3 of 4 channels would go, so I'll go back to connections

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
All connections are fine. Wondering if there is something to do with the bose amp maybe??
Are the connections soldered and heat shrinked or just put together with Butt Connectors.

If not soldered and heat shrinked then they are the most likely culprits. It is VERY common for the crimped on Butt Connectors to fail and lose connectivity, ;angel

Im the third one to suggest this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are put together with butt connectors. If i wiggle the wires in the door panel around i can kind of get a feed back through the speaker. And as soon as i pulled the one working speaker out it went dead as well, now it wont produce sound. The speakers do look kind of rusted so im wondering if that could be the cause.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Could be... grab some new speakers (something you can return, in case ) and swap them in and see...

Crutchfield.com

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Or test each speaker with an aux source. They don't last forever.
Rust could mean door leaks with water soaking the cones.
Aftermarket speakers don't match the Bose system impedance, and you need adapters.

Rock has the OE speaker replacements, much cheaper than aftermarket 'sets', you can order singles and they don't need adapters or cuts made to fit.
Plug-n-play, they just clip in place.

I only needed one, but ordered two for the same freight $. Lucky I did, because the other side went out a few months later. On the shelf replacement was ready. :howdy

Reactions: NHfireDmax

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Or test each speaker with an aux source. They don't last forever.
Rust could mean door leaks with water soaking the cones.
Aftermarket speakers don't match the Bose system impedance, and you need adapters.

Rock has the OE speaker replacements, much cheaper than aftermarket 'sets', you can order singles and they don't need adapters or cuts made to fit.
Plug-n-play, they just clip in place.

I only needed one, but ordered two for the same freight $. Lucky I did, because the other side went out a few months later. On the shelf replacement was ready. :howdy
What impedance is the bose running? Never heard there was an incompatiblity

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
8?
Aftermarket 4.
It works, it's just a lower volume.

Reactions: NHfireDmax

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I have an aftermarket stereo in my 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the Bose sound system. Currently, i only have one speaker working, the other 3 have no sound coming from them. Any idea what could cause this? or a work around for the Bose system. Im tired of listening to my music through one speaker.
most likely the bose amp died.

to bypass the bose amp, remove the dash, remove the radio, there is a plug clipped to the back side of the radio basket behind the heater controls. This is the output side of the bose amp into the factory wiring to the speakers, disconnect this connector and you can directly tie into the vehicles speaker wires at that point.

Either get a new data harness for a non bose truck, rewire the radio, and connect the new harness to the plug behind the heater controls to bypass the bose amp, or cut the 8 speaker wires (leave room to reconnect at the plug should you want to, dont **** them off right at the plug please and thank you) then you can wire the radio speaker wires to the vehicle side of the wires you just cut. You can use a AA battery to test the speakers, strip wire back on both of the speaker wires you want to test (matching sets) hold 1 wire to the battery - and tap the other to the battery +, do not use more voltage than a AA battery, you will hear the speaker pop, this will tell you where the speaker is in the vehicle and confirm that it works.

Have you pulled the head to confirm? If connections are fine then its a bad head or bad amp, but its unlikely 3 of 4 channels would go, so I'll go back to connections

its actually a lot more common than you would think.

Are the connections soldered and heat shrinked or just put together with Butt Connectors.

If not soldered and heat shrinked then they are the most likely culprits. It is VERY common for the crimped on Butt Connectors to fail and lose connectivity, ;angel

Im the third one to suggest this.

worth checking, but i have installed literally hundreds of radios with butt connectors and never had one fail in close to a decade. Though, i have absolutely seen them fail when not installed correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts