Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started truck up to leave jobsite. The truck had been sitting for 45 min. Heading down the road, the truck will not go over 2000 rpm and the cruise control does not engage. I check the fuse for the cruise and it looked ok. The day before I checked my fuel filter with the truck running to see if it had any water in it. There was no water. I had to press the primer button quite a few times to get it to start after checking. The check engine icon came on yesterday. A couple of days ago, I cleaned the firewall and the battery case and I splashed pails of water to rinse it off. All of the guages seem to be working. The transmission termperature shows 150 degrees after sitting for about 15 minutes. It is 90 degrees outside. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Randy

·
Registered
303 Posts
It in an engine limp mode. Which means a fuel problem. Your system could be letting in too much air somewhere. The filter head assembly, bleeder screw or an old rubber line may be rotting out. Another culprit is the fprv. Fuel pressure relief valve. If its worn out it will return fuel to your tank before its suppose to causing a low rail pressure code and triggering limp mode.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
If the CEL light comes on, there is a code-- that will help diagnose the problem. It is just a guess without the code. Many just buy a code reader, as it is about the same price a dealer would charge to read the codes. Auto parts, and Wal-Mart will have one.

When the truck goes into "Limp Mode", you are limited to 2k RPM, and stuck in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Would bet its p0087 low rail pressure

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Computer codes

Thanks for the info. I took the truck to the local auto parts store and they scanned it. the codes that came up are: P0045 turbo/supercharger boost control solenoid circuit open.
P0090 Fuel pressure regular control circuit
P0088 Fuel rail/system pressure too high.
This problem occurred after I drained some fuel from the fuel filter. When I went to start it up after drained, it would not start right away, so I pushed the primer button several times and I did not loosen the plastic vent screw to purge the air out. (stupid me). The truck started right up after I did this, but now it is the limping mode, 2000 rpm. Just a few minutes ago I put a new fuel filter in, but this did not change any thing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Randy

·
Registered
504 Posts
If you have not already clear the codes. If you don't have a code scanner at least unhook the batteries for about an hour and touch the neg and positive cables together to drain any residual charge in capacitors etc.

Bleed the fuel filter one more time to check for air, then restart.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Moved to LBZ

·
Registered
191 Posts
Did you ever figure out your problem? My truck just started doing the same thing. I can get it to go in all the gears, but it will not go over 2000 rpm on the road or in park. I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the air filter, no change. I am going to get some different diesel tonight, and pull the codes. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Did you ever figure out your problem? My truck just started doing the same thing. I can get it to go in all the gears, but it will not go over 2000 rpm on the road or in park. I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the air filter, no change. I am going to get some different diesel tonight, and pull the codes. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.
I just pulled the codes, and I am getting the P0045 which is T/S Charger Boost Ctrl Solenoid Circ/Open. Where should I go from here?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I experienced this today, it'll shift all the up to sixth, but stuck at 2k RPM's. did y'all ever figure it out?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I experienced this today, it'll shift all the up to sixth, but stuck at 2k RPM's. did y'all ever figure it out?
This is exactly what mine is doing. I read that some people had luck taking the solenoid out and cleaning it up, but it did not do anything for mine. I dropped it off at the shop this morning. I will let you know what they find.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks! I threw the low fuel pressure code, I have right at 9k on my fuel filter so I'll be changing it tomorrow if Napa has one. If I can find a cut off wheel I'll open up my old filter and see if looks like my problem, I'll be checking for soft fuel lines to.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I got lucky, there were 4 wires that had rubbed through and caused my P0045 code. They patched them up and changed out 2 glow plugs, and I am back in business. The first thing I tried was my fuel filter, and also cleaned my air filter, but that was not my problem.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Where are the wires located? I also have a glow plug I'll be replacing tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Interested in wire location as well...possibly tape up and loom wires to prevent rub

·
Registered
191 Posts
Where are the wires located? I also have a glow plug I'll be replacing tomorrow.
I am not exactly sure, but it must have been on the wiring harness somewhere. There was only one wire from the solenoid to the plug when I took it out and cleaned it, and the shop told me that there was 4 wires rubbing. I didn't have time to for them show me yesterday, I will see if I can find it tonight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got lucky, there were 4 wires that had rubbed through and caused my P0045 code. They patched them up and changed out 2 glow plugs, and I am back in business. The first thing I tried was my fuel filter, and also cleaned my air filter, but that was not my problem.
Hey we’re the wires up under the passenger side dash? Because I got a plug with 4 or 5 wire there and one of them control my a/c. Sometimes I have to reach down there and wiggle them to get my a/c to work and it sparks! I’m lost. I’m stuck at 2000 rpm and engine knocks but think it’s the idler pulley going bad. Please help....

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a bundle of wires located on the driver side of the engine compartment, behind the battery. I believe the two I found were yellow with green stripe and maybe purple with red stripe.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

1 - 18 of 18 Posts