Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New to the forum and posting a question about my friend's truck. He's got a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB with a Regency Conversion package. I was going to tune his truck and looked at the VIN to see what engine he had, and it had a 2 in the 8th digit (LLY). I tried to flash LLY tunes on it and I kept getting an error code. So I looked under the hood and it is definitely an LBZ, but the build code in the glove box is LLY.

We were both very confused, so I looked at the ECM and it is definitely an LBZ ECM. Flashed LBZ tunes on and they worked no problem. We are very confused here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
x2^^^^ in 06 the LLY was really the new LBZ motor. The only difference was the factory tuning as Timmay said, the LLY was detuned compared to the LBZ. All replacement parts should be done with LBZ parts not LLY.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's kind of what I thought, but the ECM's are different. Different shape, different connectors, different wires and pin connectors (so different DSP5), different everything. Also, when I tune LLY's the stock elevated idle does not work but after tuning this truck it still did.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it is an issue with who I originally got my tunes from, working on a fix now. Really? I guess I haven't tried that. I suppose it would work since they both use a similar pin lock. Stock pins are different shape though, the 06 has a rectangular pin with a "tooth"

·
Registered
103 Posts
My LBZ has flat pins on the ecm, tried to find the flat pins at the dealership my wife worked at, no luck. Guys on here said the round pin would work and they were right on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Further confusion: airbox says horsepower as advertised @ 310 hp. This is the Horsepower rating for the LLY. I plugged in an Intimidator program for LLY engines and it says the engine is not an LLY! Something is screwy here, could it somehow be a swapped ECM? Heck the engine could've even been swapped

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
OK for the 1,000 time-- An 06 LLY is exactly the same as the 06 LBZ-- all parts are interchangeble. When the 06 engine was produced, it was not EPA certified-- so they used the previous LLY certification, which was 310 HP and called it a LLY. After the engines was certified for 360 HP, it was designated as a LBZ. Any tuner for a LBZ will work on a 06 LLY-- but will actually increase the horsepower an additional 50 HP, because it also over-rides the LLY tune. Best for everyone to forget they have a 06 LLY and just call it an LBZ. Buying parts for a 06 LLY at the part store, may result in parts for an 05 LLY, which is completely different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for explaining, now I understand. No need to get sarcastic either bud

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.