Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying a friends truck, motor and trans are in good condition it has 280000, it recently got t-boned on the drivers side behind the door and ruptured the gas tank. Truck is a 2wd. Frame doesn’t appear to be damaged. What do you guys think it’s worth?

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined, happen to have a donor bed already and can get it for less than $200USD, I'd go for it. There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Duramax....

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I've been into the wrecked truck market for about 5 years now. What I have decided, which isn't necessarily what you should believe, is that 200,000 is an absolute maximum on miles to make it worth fixing. Cab damage is too expensive to fix unless you have a replacement on hand. Bed damage is either live with it or replace it but never try to fix it. Frame damage is a death knell.

I'd have to be really sure the frame wasn't bent before even considering this deal. Then I'd have to get it for at least $10,000 below book value. Then I'd have to know that the engine had never been tuned or deleted. You could bypass that last one if you know the person who owned it and knew for certain that he didn't abuse the truck after it was tuned. It would have to have injectors with less than 25,000 miles on them. The trans fluid would have to be in good shape. The cooling stack has to be undamaged. The air bags have to be intact.

If it fails any of these conditions then it is not likely to be worth messing with even if it is really cheap to buy. It is really expensive to try to restore a badly wrecked, high mileage Duramax.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up buying the truck, I pulled the motor and trans and the harness so I can put it in my 48. Ended up putting an ifs under the truck, going to get the cab off this weekend and drop the engine and trans in and make mounts.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's really cool, I hope you post up some pics when your done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts