Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and Gals,

Just a question...I pulled off the edge juice with attitude on my truck to make way for EFI Live (Idaho Rob). I installed the EGT probe, uploaded tunes and installed the DSP 5 switch. When I went to start it, I had no crank. No gauges, headlights, dome lights. Just radio and climate control powered up. I have been on the horn with ATP (and they have been great) and they have advised me that I do not have the ecm connected properly. I have tried 100 times and same result. Am I missing something? anyone else have this issue and resolve it???

·
Registered
90 Posts
When you popped off the ECM connector (the top part of it has like a "roll lock" at least on my 07 classic) you have to take that protector off to slide the new wires in..... I would be willing to bet when you snapped the top part "roll lock" of the plug back on you had the wiring side off and the connector is not fully seating in the ecm.

1. Snap off the "roll lock" top part of the connector
2. push the lock all the way down (like the locking mechanism would be if it were fully seated in the ecm
3. snap top "roll lock" back onto wiring connector fully closed (just like when you started the process whenever that was)

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input Super10brss. I'll try that. I have been monkeying with this since last Wednesday...can't seem to get it straightened out!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gweber...I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'll watch the video and see if I did anything incorrectly.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
If what in the video doesnt help feel free to give me a call anytime Schoolyg24. 208-685-1000

Did you FULL flash the tuning and not PROG? did it go 0-100% flash then have a count down?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sickdiesel - Thanks for the reply! I installed FULL DSP5Stock tunes since I still have DPF etc. It went through the full 100% (erasing and loading). I got the turn ignition off NOW message and waited out the 15 second count down timer. I did not try to start the truck at that point however, went straight to installing the DSP 5 switch. After installing the switch, I tried to start the truck and no crank...I have checked the ECM harness numerous times and no matter how many times I disconnect and reconnect it...nothing changes. It is as if the theft deterrent is activated and nothing works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And just FYI...I have contacted ATP and they have tried to help. I emailed them my stock tune from the Autocal on Friday 12/12/14. I am hoping for some more info soon, but I know those guys are busy. Every phone call has been answered and they have been great , but I haven't been able to get any answers. It is as if my ECM just rejects the tunes and goes into shut down mode. Maybe I should have bought a pre-programmed ECM??? :thinkkkk

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I bet if it said it was successful there is nothing wrong with the EVM. Did you make sure to reseat the purple plastic piece?

Also, since (on my 06 LBZ) the DSP5 connected to the larger of the two main ECM connectors, did you make sure BOTH connectors were seated and locked correctly?

I had to take the smaller one off to gain access to the larger one.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I would pull them off completely, again, and check pin placement, and insure the purple pin guard (not correct name) is in place, and reseat and lock both ECM harnesses back onto the ECM and retry the starting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks handirifle....I have done that several times (including pin lock check), but I will double check tonight before it goes to dealer. That's right! I have to have the ECM flashed...then I will try to re-install tunes. ATP said to make sure everything with electrical draw is off and voltage stays up on batteries, so I will add the use of a trickle charger while programming. If this doesn't work, I guess ATP will getting another phone call (I'm sure they will love that)! they said to follow up with them if ECM still won't take program. I'm sure they will help me make it right if issue continues. They have been great so far!:thumb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a little update if anyone is following this thread:

My Body Control Module is what was causing the issue. It is blown. Dealer said it was just bad timing that it went while I was "modifying" the ECM. ECM is fins and communicating with Tech II at dealer. Final bill...$735 including tow. I don't have the truck back yet, but will be picking it up after work today or tomorrow morning. I'll be back with an update on truck with EFI Live...

Thanks to all that tried to help. Love this forum and much respect to the members!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Glad you got it fixed! Just curious, what is a body control module??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gweber...dealer said it controls things like headlights, entry lights, 4x4 (if electric shift), trailer braking system etc. It works in conjunction with the ECM and both must be operating for truck to start or even crank over. If it blows, you'll know because the gauges won't work, dome light won't work and headlights won't come on. Also, DIC will give "Service 4x4 system and "Service Trailer Brake System" messages. the truck geos into theft deterrent mode. Nothing works but radio and climate control...

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Glad you got it fixed! Just curious, what is a body control module??
The BCM (body control module) is to the body as the ECM is to the engine. It controls all lights chimes, etc. There is also the TCM transmission control module) as well. The 3 "cm's" run the truck, and interact with each other.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok...got truck back from Dealership Friday night...BCM replaced and truck running again. Finished the Edge Insight install and took her for a run. All I can say is AWESOME! Loving the smooth power and quick response of the Idaho Rob tunes. The truck is fun to drive again! big shout out to Rob and his crew. I would recommend them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts