Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2007.5 lmm from a friend of mine. The truck has 179k on the clock and seems to run well. It has a full 5in exhaust, fully deleted with an lb7 down pipe, s&b cold air, and Idaho rob efi live with dsp 5. I currently have it in the shop repairing a slip yoke leak and having a fass 165 installed. I have big plans for it in the near future. Should I be concerned that it has been run for this long without a lift pump? Seems to run really well and I have extensive maintenance history on it. Super stoked to own the truck and have worked hard for it just want to keep it running strong 馃挭.

Registered
FASS 100 (or smaller) would have been a better choice, IMHO.

Reactions: WOLFN8TR

2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
It should be fine. It's the CP3 and not a CP4, so running it without a lift pump shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Registered
I have 207k on mine with no lift pump still runnin strong. Clean truck! and like the wheel stance, those 33 x 12.5?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 207k on mine with no lift pump still runnin strong. Clean truck! and like the wheel stance, those 33 x 12.5?
That puts my mind at ease. Thanks! Yep 33 x 12.5 x 20. Kriptonite control arms, PPE tie rods and ends and new shocks all the way around. Rides great!

Registered
My biggest concern was that it has been run tough for a while with tunes and no lift pump. From what I鈥檓 gathering I think I should be OK. I appreciate the input.
I get it. He had a trailer hooked up for about 499k of those miles also. Lol

Registered
@chevor never ran a lift pump if I recall and was pushing over 500k.
I installed a fass 95 HD on the 2010 at like 480,000 miles. @ over 850k when I sold it, truck still had stock fuel pump.

The 2013 stock pump was replaced just shy of 600k, no lift pump on this truck.

I can tell you winter fuel gelling is a much bigger issue with the lift pump installed. The small micron filter is a choke point. But the truck did run smoother and pedal response from a stop is much faster.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I installed a fass 95 HD on the 2010 at like 480,000 miles. @ over 850k when I sold it, truck still had stock fuel pump.

The 2013 stock pump was replaced just shy of 600k, no lift pump on this truck.

I can tell you winter fuel gelling is a much bigger issue with the lift pump installed. The small micron filter is a choke point. But the truck did run smoother and pedal response from a stop is much faster.
What did you run for the fuel gelling? Just curious because it gets pretty cold here in Montana in the winter.

Registered
Well, what in was doing is running from Indiana to Alberta weekly. HUGE temperature swings. I would use anti gel with anything expected under 20 degrees with mostly #2 fuel. What I learned is you get to subzero and lower USE #1 if it's available.

Still Fass offers a heat probe for the unit. I have even thought about getting some foam like a beer cozy and wrapping the filters.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, what in was doing is running from Indiana to Alberta weekly. HUGE temperature swings. I would use anti gel with anything expected under 20 degrees with mostly #2 fuel. What I learned is you get to subzero and lower USE #1 if it's available.

Still Fass offers a heat probe for the unit. I have even thought about getting some foam like a beer cozy and wrapping the filters.
Right on. Good stuff I really appreciate the info. Filter cozy鈥檚 馃..could be a thing..

Registered
Is the 165 to much? I plan on doing turbo and injectors along with a built tranny just saving up.
Your truck needs something less than 30 GPH to never run out of fuel unless you plan on all-out racing all the time. This is one place where bigger is not better. Why spend the $$ for something that does not benefit you?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your truck needs something less than 30 GPH to never run out of fuel unless you plan on all-out racing all the time. This is one place where bigger is not better. Why spend the $$ for something that does not benefit you?
Good point. It just got put on at the shop I should pick it up tomorrow. Is the 165 going to hurt it?

Registered
Good point. It just got put on at the shop I should pick it up tomorrow. Is the 165 going to hurt it?
no, all extra fuel is returned to the tank

1 - 19 of 19 Posts