Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I just got a 2007 Chevy 2500HD LBZ and ive noticed a ticking noise at idle. Is this normal? I was beside a 06 LLY and it didnt tick like mine anyone know what it could be. I have had the truck for like 3 1/2 weeks. I have 1000 kilometers on it. ANy help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Interesting you said that, does it sound like something hitting a piece of metal when you first crank it? Mine had never done it and then yesterday when I cranked it sat there with an unsteady ticking for about 5 minutes and then it went away.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, thanks for the help, so we don't need to be concerned about the noise then?

·
Registered
46 Posts
concerned ?

Good question !
Im not sure if we should be concerned or not . GM says everything is OK and this is normal , but why then are some trucks louder than others and some dont have the noise at all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess thats what warranty is for!!!:rockin

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had my 06 lly for about 5 months never heard this knock till about 2 weeks ago. After reading Fenmor's other post in general discussions and a little thinking I remembered I changed my oil for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I put in Rotella T 15w40 so what ever the first owner was using was keeping this knock quiet.

what oil are you guys using and can you hear the knock yes or no?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmmm well that doesn't support my theory. Do you Kris or anyone know what oil the factory uses? Does anyone using synthetic oil hear this knock?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmmm well that doesn't support my theory. Do you Kris or anyone know what oil the factory uses? Does anyone using synthetic oil hear this knock?
after i had my oil changed and i put synthetic in my 05 i noticed the knock (like a clacking sound between 1500 and 2000 rpm - loudest about 1700.) (don't remember the exact oil off hand - maybe mobil). i got the same bullitin from the dealer saying that it was normal.
i found this forum and registered because i started to surf the net to find out if there is an oil that quiets it down. the clack gets real loud at times and it sounds like it can't be a good thing.
next i think i will try AMSOIL Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine Motor Oil (AME) 15W-40.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts