Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have issues with their truck when it gets colder out? I end up putting new batterys in mine every fall because the damn thing eats batterys.
I have nothing hooked up other than my FD 2 way radio, and i shut that off at night, the truck sat from tuesday night till thursday am.

On weds afternoon i hit the key fob to unlock it, nothing. So i thought it was the fob. Unlocked it with the key, got my stuff out and headed off not thinking about it, well come to find out it was dead. Charged it up for an hour, it went fine all day yesterday, parked it at 430 last night, 7am its dead again.

Another $200 for batts again. ugh!!!!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
you replacing both batteries at the same time?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
had my factory batts since 07 when bought new :neener lol...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes replacing both at the same time

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
that sucks OP, sounds like you have some short somewhere that is draining and eventually killing your batteries

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They drivers side batt has a short in it, I am going to replace it with a bigger better bat then that interstate that's in it

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I removed both batts, I have ran the truck for 15 minutes, and they both load test fine, I hook up the drivers batt and it sparks, I'm guessingthe computers cause that. I unhooked everything foreign to the truck now I'll see if it still kills the batts tonight.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I know I am on borrowed time but my 05 still has the factory batteries!

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
well I have sorta the same issue,but I have lots of accesories

I feel the OP's frustration!!I have an 06 and a 07 both 4x4 LBZ,crew cab trucks!The 06 likes to eat batteries,but the wife's 07 still has BOTH the factory batteries and never any issues.......if it's real cold overnight itll drain them,or if I park the damn thing more than 48 hrs[which is RARE:thumb)itll drain my batteries as well....I have looked for a short,and looked to be sure my grounds are in good shape.I just stopped worrying as much about it because I have a 2 yr. free replacement anyways on them,so it's not an issue when i get new batteries on their dime!:drink

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Per my mechanic, i unhooked the altenator last night from the batt cables, and low and behold the batterys were up this am, i didn't start it, but it unlocked my doors. So now to a new altenator.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, i'm stumped, the alternator is not the culprit, The thing is killing batterys in the last week. Usually in the fall, it will pull this if it sits for a couple days, but this is a kill good batts in 3 hours type thing. I have unhooked everything foreign to the truck, plow set up wires, my FD radio, etc etc.

Removed the neg cables from both batts, used a test light to see if there is a draw. There is a Huge one. The fuse block under the hood is the culprit, but we removed every fuse, maxi fuse, relay, still nothing.

We've looked for broken wires, i've pulled the block almost completely apart, i found one 50amp fuse that dims the test light, but not much, unplugged everything i could find under the dash, pulled all the dash fuses. I'm stumped, going on 3 hours now, and i've called everyone i know.

Anyone got any thoughts. I haven't started unplugging computers i guess what will be next.

Thanks
Glen

·
Registered
265 Posts
My optima will die if the truck is not driven at least once a week. Even then I am lucky if it isn't dead. Even with the aftermarket alarm off and the truck in the garage. Good Luck

·
Registered
699 Posts
did pulling the fuses for the glow plug circut help any, or try the testing to see if one of the glow plugs is drawing, kinda a guess to throw at ya but i've seen it on a 96 power joke

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
You cannot test for a drain using a test light between the cables -- Any time you pull the cables, the system has to reload the computers, and that can take several minutes. That did work on older non-computer vehicles.

The best way is to use a multi-meter AMP setting. [usually limited to 10 amps max] Remove one positive cable from the battery, and put the amp meter connection -one on the battery, and one on the cable. Use test leads for good connection. You will not have any reading, because the other battery is still connected. Now remove one cable from the other battery- positive or negative- don't matter. Now the meter should show any discharge. Start by removing one fuse at a time.

Doing the test like this, you still keep the computers charged.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Still have my batteries from my 2007 lbz.Definately get a ohm tester and check your current going through

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You cannot test for a drain using a test light between the cables -- Any time you pull the cables, the system has to reload the computers, and that can take several minutes. That did work on older non-computer vehicles.

The best way is to use a multi-meter AMP setting. [usually limited to 10 amps max] Remove one positive cable from the battery, and put the amp meter connection -one on the battery, and one on the cable. Use test leads for good connection. You will not have any reading, because the other battery is still connected. Now remove one cable from the other battery- positive or negative- don't matter. Now the meter should show any discharge. Start by removing one fuse at a time.

Doing the test like this, you still keep the computers charged.
I did not realize that, thank you.

With that being said, I have a solid 6 amp drawn, the second fuse i pulled reset the meter to 0. I found you have to wait a little bit, the meter everytime you remove a fuse it bounces all over the place.

With this fuse out, the meter stays at zero, now what is this fuse?

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, i found it, that is the powerseat fuse, and the reason it wasn't blowing the fuse, is because the pass side seat switch was stuck, i moved the seat and it worked.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Glad you have found the problem.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for the info on the amp meter. Worked good.
Glen

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Almost to the day since i posted last fall, Well another long summer, and i'm jumpstarting it maybe twice a week when its cold. Can a bad Glow plug cause a drain? I've got a plug thats gone, other than that its a new set of batts again this fall. ugh.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts