Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what oil I should be using in my 07 LBZ / K2500 HD.
I know a lot of you recommend Amsoil ( not sure if its available in Canada ) except through online purchase.
I was thinking of either Shell Rotella T 15-40 , Rotella synthetic or Delo 15-40.
What do you recommend ?
Also wondering about transmission fluid for the Allison ? and do you pre-fill the transmission filter when changing ?
thanks for any info.
Fenmor in Vancouver.................

·
Registered
134 Posts
I run Shell Rotella T 15-40 always have in every one of our trucks including the big trucks.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
I run 15-40 Valvoline Premium Blue? in my Dmax and Rotella in my 2 work vehicles. There both fine oil products.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=112

I also use AcDelco filters. There awesome! I talked to some reps from different parts stores and they say AcDelco has the best filters out. :cool:

I think you have to get trans fluid from GM. Think the Allison takes a special fluid?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oil

Thanks for all the info.
I'll check out the GM filters and pick up some Rotella.
Do you think the synthetic rotella would be worth using after some break-in on the engine ? cost doesnt bother me if its a superior oil that will benifit the truck in the long run.
thanks again.
Fenmor in Vancouver

·
Banned
6 Posts
Hi fenmor,
The oil that is going to be required for you application is an CJ-4 approved oil. Amsoil has an oil that is just for the new 07 motors. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.. Thanks Mark

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Your 2007 classic uses the same oil as all previous models. CI 4+
2007 LLM trucks will require the new CJ4 spec.

Amsoil AME 15W40 is a great synthetic to run. Rottela and Delo 400 are pretty common petroleum based oils.

For your transmission, you need a Synthetic ATF. Previous models (01-05) Allison transmissions used the Allison Rated fluids, and Amsoil offered the Torque Drive fluid as a replacement for the Allison Fluid Syntoque. For your 2006-2007 6 speeds, Amsoil ATF is an Ideal replacement for the stock fill. Fill your filter before installing. Filters are available through Amsoil as well. Both Donaldson and Wix are available.

Don't forget to support your site sponsors!:drink

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll third, just make sure you use Dex VI spec'd atf in your 2006+ Allison, I also use the Amsoil ATF in mine.

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
I just changed my oil in my lbz and didn't have time to get some amsoil, so I used some John Deere Plus 50 that we use in all out tractors and have it in bulk. I'm gonna switch to Amsoil when i change it again. Thinkin of changin the whole truck over to Amsoil.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Not a bad idea! Its truly is top notch, and a little more cost effective when you use the extended drains it can allow. Plus you run the risk of getting slightly better fuel mileage!:rockin

·
Registered
192 Posts
Use synthetic if you care about longevity, especially towing in stress applications. Oil apparently gets very hot in the duramax, some guys now run oil temp gauges, and suggest a range to over 300 degrees.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts