Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, I've got a 2007 Top Kick with a 6.6 Duramax. Right out of the blue, over the long holiday weekend it won't crank. I had to start it by jumping the starter at the solenoid with a screwdriver.

Fuse for the Starter is good, swapped out the starter relay under the hood, still no crank.

One weird thing. I checked the voltage at the fuse under the dash and I was only getting 0.1 volt to it! Even while I tried to crank.

Any thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
For my 2008 model, fuse 60 STRTR feeds starter relay., in the underhood fuse box. Is that the fuse you checked? And what fuse under the dash did you check?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ron, OK... here's some more info. All the fuses under the hood are good. The fuse that's under the dash is in front of the drivers seat #11. I checked all the fuses in that box and they are all good.

There was no power to the #11 fuse. None with the key off, on or in the start position. I found a wiring diagram from another Topkick that was close and it shows that that fuse gets power only when you turn the key to the start position. Mine is not getting anything. I pulled the fuse and put battery voltage to the box with my power probe, bingo the truck spun over. So, I'm not getting power from the Ignition switch to the #11 fuse.
While under the dash, by the steering column, there was a clicking noise when I go to the start position. Turns out there is a 5 pin relay under the steering column that clicks when I turn the key to start. I checked power at all positions and 3 of them get 13v when I hit the start. The middle one gets nothing, and the other one shows 3v. Just for the heck of it I applied 13v to the center post of the relay and the engine spun over. I replaced the relay with another, thinking the relay may be bad, but that didn't fix it. I'm thinking there may be a backfeed of power somewhere? So I'm trying to get a schematic of the circuit from the ignition switch to the fuse box under the dash without much luck.

Thanks for your help!

Kenny

·
Registered
1,753 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ron, I'll be sure to save that site! I got it sorted... Turns out it was part of my Alarm system. An add on from the truck manufacturer. Some type of immobilizer. I basically put the yellow wire back into the circuit from the ignition switch, by-passing that relay and bingo... She starts right up

Thanks for your help and the info on where I can get some wiring diagrams. Seems pretty hard to find these as the trucks are getting older and not many of them were made in the later years.

Got any idea where I can get a drag link? This thing eats them up! One a year!

Happy New Year!!!

Kenny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts