Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the factory installed brake controllers on the 2008 trucks?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah , i just bought a Dually and use it pull my 30ft toy hauler. It works great, much better than the after market one i had. I had a Husky one for my old truck, it worked ok, but the built in one is awesome. I was told it works in conjunction with the ABS. It also has a display on the dash that shows the settings and a bar graph that shows how much brake is being applied when pressing your brakes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much. I ordered a 2008 SRW one ton after the strike and it's too late to take it out of the order. I feel much better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Integrated Brake Controller

I have this brake controller on my new beast and it is awesome. It works with the ABS very well and is better than the aftermarket Prodigy I have been running.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 07 didn't have the factory one installed.

Does anybody have the part number for the brake control. The idiots at the dealer say's that the truck don't have a controler in them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The option code is JL1 "integrated brake controller" we ordered our dually a couple of months ago, got it last week (must have shipped just before the strike) and used it to tow to the race track on the weekend. All I can say is AWESOME! we had a Reece controller before, and it was always a bit clunky/jerky, this brakes silky smooth, like there is no trailer there almost. It was cool to not have to add anything to the truck to tow with it. We tow a 28' enclosed race car trailer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
2K8 Duramax LTZ 4x4

Just towed our 5ver 4000 plus miles using the intergrated brake controller. Love it. Run a 6.5 setting and you barely know the trailer is behind you. Very little jerking or shudder in stop and go traffic. MUCH better than the Prodigy brake controller we used to have.
Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
If your purchasing a new truck make sure it has this controller on it. They work great!!

·
Banned
95 Posts
Works Great

I love , its convient built right in the dash, so it isn't taking up space, and getting in the way, or accidentally broken off. It has a lot of braking power and as previous posts state, you can watch your output on the speeedometer. I have 19000 miles on my 08 already, with a good precentage pulling a 27 ft enclosed v-nose. At 9,000 lbs it brakes like a dream, and in conjuction with allision tranny in tow/haul mode, jake'in you like a semi, you hardly need the brakes. I love this truck to say the least

·
Registered
17 Posts
first post!

Hi, I have not purchased a controler yet, and wonder If I should see If I can order the stock one and Install it. anyone done it?
(Lets see if I did my sig right....for Model spec)
Thanks
R

·
Registered
7 Posts
Integrated brake controller

Does anyone have any experience with electric/hydraulic brakes? A lot of high end RV's, expecially 5th wheels are coming with hydraulic disk brakes that use an electric controller which relies on the same electric signal that actuates your electric brakes. I read some time ago on an RV forum that some of the factory controllers (as I remember Ford was prominently mentioned) do not work with this brake system. I have a 12,000# 5er and the first time I have major suspension problems I intend to replace the axles with torsion axles and hydraulic disks. Since I have the factory controller I am interested in learning if it works OK with this set up.

Gerry: :):)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would think it would. The only trailer I have towed so far has drum brakes and took a brake bias setting of close to 10.0 and assume this is because the truck has 4 wheel discs. The controller has a span of 0-10.0 in 0.5 increments so should allow a low enough setting for trailer discs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Integrate Trailer Brake Control System.

I found this on page 4-75 of my owners manual today when I was looking for information to set the gain for our 5th wheel trailer: "CAUTION: Connecting a trailer that is not compatible with the ITBC system may result in reduced or complete loss of trailer braking. There may be an increase in stopping distance or trailer instability which could result in personal injury or damage to your vehidle, trailer, or other property. An aftermarket contoller may be available for use with trailers with surge, air or electric-over-hydraulic trailer brake systems."
Apparently the ITSB may not work with electric/hydraulic brakes.

Gerry

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do you have to go through the dealer to get one?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The factory installed trailer brake system is great. Pull over 12K and it performs great.

Only problem of late...DIC warns me to service the system, mostly when it is wet or raining out. Not sure what that's all about cause the DIC comes on even if I'm not towing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My DIC also tells me to Service Brake System sometimes when I have NO trailer attached. I don't know why it's doing it. The truck only has 800 miles on it and I have pulled a boat without electric brakes but have not yet pulled my 5th wheel which has electric brakes. Hope the system is ok. It did it again today, I had just washed the truck and that may have something to do with it. Any others seeing this too?

Paul Welsh
Minneapolis
2008 DRW 3500
Durmax/Allison

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure of your specific install circumstances for your trailering package that came with your truck. These packages are initially taped on the street side of the vehicle by the rear axle on the frame.

My DIC kept giving me a Service Trailer Brake System, after the trailering wire package was installed. I had the dealer run diagnostics and they found that the trailer hitch company had two areas not properly taped or closed from the weather which was causing the DIC message when it rained or underside of vehicle got wet. I have since put on 3-4000 miles and no DIC message has repeated. If you have similar install circumstances it could be the issue. Good Luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Gator66, thanks for your reply. When I purchased the truck I had the dealer move my 5th wheel hitch to the new truck and install a electrical plug for my camper in the back of the bed just forward of the tailgate. I was surprised GM had a wiring harness that was designed specifficaly for that purpose so everything is under factory warranty. I took it in today and they didn't give me any paperwork. However they told me they found some things wrong and it should give me no further problems. I noted they had rerouted the wiring and now there is an additional grounding wire that goes to the frame that was not there before. Time will tell if it's all working fine. I appreciate your response to my post.
Paul Welsh
Minneapolis
2008, Diesel Allison, DRW LTZ
Love it to death

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
You're on track, false errors usually stem from grounding issues.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts