Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2008 Chevy 2500 4x4 LTZ

5K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  deweyls 
#1 ·
Just bought it the other day and filled it up earlier. It only took under 18 gallons and I was on E with 30 miles left. I thought this had a 26 gallon fuel tank??

#2 ·
I think I have the only Chevy in the country that the fuel guage actually works right. Just be glad it's not off the other way

#4 ·
The short beds do have a 26 gallon tank. My low fuel light comes on between 15.5-16.0 gallons used. The DIC is accurate to how much fuel I have used. I just fill up when it tells me I have used 22-23 gallons. I have had no problems with this. Just annoying the the fuel guage does not work properly on this, but I think this is very common on our trucks. Hell, they can put a man on the moon, but they can't figure out the best sending unit that works for these trucks. I wish GM would just put a Titan tank (52 gallon) on from the factory.

#7 ·
Lets not forget the Crew Cab Short box - that's 26 gallons (like the extended cab)

#8 · (Edited)
My "low fuel" msg comes on when Iv used 20 gals.

#9 ·
mine does the same thing... from low fuel light to full is 18 gallons!!!

#11 ·
+1 on the Titan tank. Best investment I made for trailer towing.......and a pretty easy install. GM missed the boat on tank sizing though.....26 gallons for towing stinks.

#13 ·
Its not a recall. Rumor is GM decided to make the sensor go off early so you don't run out of fuel. Pretty stupid in my opinion. If that was their intent, they should have put on a minimum of a 36 gallon tank on the CC/SB trucks due to towing.

#15 ·
There is no fix.

The only fix is to either buy a bigger tank or just run longer after the low fuel light comes on. I run mine til the needle is bottomed out and the range says "low" and still haven't put more than 22 gallons in.

Sent from my phone, probably while driving and eating a sammich

#23 ·
There is no fix.

The only fix is to either buy a bigger tank or just run longer after the low fuel light comes on. I run mine til the needle is bottomed out and the range says "low" and still haven't put more than 22 gallons in.

Sent from my phone, probably while driving and eating a sammich
There is a fix.... I programmed my fuel gauge with EFI live. I just smoothed out the gauge chart. My low fuel light comes on when I have 4 gallons left now. If I have 1/2 a tank it take 16 gallons to fill it now. It is not real hard to do. You guys should offer it on your custom tuning.

#16 ·
^^ Agreed. My low fuel light comes on, but the fuel used in my DIC is pretty accurate. I just run my till it tells me I hav used 22 gallons and then I go ahead an fill up. It is a pain in the butt, but there has been no fix. I would love to add a Titan tank if I could afford it, but the DIC does not work with it. It will still work with the fuel used but not with the distance till empty. But since I do not use mine for long hauls, I can't justify the expense of a Titan tank.

#19 ·
So is the DTE correct? Or is that off as well?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#20 ·
I've ran mine till the needle is completely on the e and dic shows low fuel and won't show miles to go but that was with about 30 before that came on. Filled up and took 22-23 gallons to fill. Dic on my truck shows about a gallon difference from what the pump says,I'm guessing its idle time

#21 ·
Too expensive to let it get that low so I just fill up at 1/4 tank plus don't want all the crap in the tank going into my fuel lines etc..and burning out the fuel pump from being to low

#22 ·
I agree. I was just curious. I too refill at 1/4 tank. It's nice not having to drive it even to work because I only have to refill it about once every 3 weeks! At this rate I'll never put miles on it!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#25 ·
Mine comes on at 19.6 every time. I too use the DIC and mine is always dead on.

#26 ·
The light comes on when I've used 19.5 to 20 gallons. The gallons used is always off on mine. I guess it's because of the Edge programmer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.