Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m in a pickle right now on what truck I want to keep and get rid of. Currently I have a 2008 duramax which I have had for a little over a year now and it has given me 0 problems. I bought it with 180k miles and it’s all deleted and in great condition other than basic maintenance that needs done. I bought it for 16k at the time and it is tuned and all the good stuff besides a lift pump because I don’t feel like I need one for the way I drive it because I don’t flog it everywhere I go.

The 2002 powerstroke f350 I just bought for 5k in a non-running condition was because a valve cover gasket that wasn’t plugged in to a wiring harness. $70 fix that turned the 5k truck into a 17k truck. It runs amazing now and the guy I bought it from was telling me it was stock and it was buried in trash when I purchased it and when I ended up getting underneath the hood and under the whole truck this machine was far from stock. It has airbags for towing. Ats turbo. Cold air intake. All the piping hoses that run from the turbo to the cooling system. Upgraded transmission pan and rear dif cover and a tranny cooler with a banks tuner which is eh. Not a huge fan of it. Probably more things I am missing on it. The truck has 180k on it and keep in mind this is a 7.3 powerstroke and oh also the injectors are replaced too and it is straight piped. The Chevy no doubt has much more power and looks is a preference to people. Which one would you guys sell or keep? Try to not be biased. I honestly think the Ford will outlast the Chevy and don’t plan on hauling super heavy stuff. Just a 26ft toy hauler.

· Read Only
862 Posts
The 7.3 Powerstroke is a very sought after truck especially if the rest of the truck is in good condition. The biggest issues on the LMM is the emissions (DPF and EGR) which you have taken care of. Both are great trucks and engines but if your plan is to pull with it I would still lean towards the Duramax. The 7.3 sounds like a Mack truck where the LMM has a quieter and bit smoother ride. The one thing I don't care for on the Ford is the tranny. In that area the Allison is hands down a better transmission for the job. Market is good right now for selling a diesel, you could get top dollar for either truck but I would lean towards keeping the LMM. Dean

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 7.3 Powerstroke is a very sought after truck especially if the rest of the truck is in good condition. The biggest issues on the LMM is the emissions (DPF and EGR) which you have taken care of. Both are great trucks and engines but if your plan is to pull with it I would still lean towards the Duramax. The 7.3 sounds like a Mack truck where the LMM has a quieter and bit smoother ride. The one thing I don't care for on the Ford is the tranny. In that area the Allison is hands down a better transmission for the job. Market is good right now for selling a diesel, you could get top dollar for either truck but I would lean towards keeping the LMM. Dean
Hello dean, my plan isn’t really strictly for towing it’s just to have a good reliable truck that will get the job done. I forgot to mention the Ford has a rebuilt transmission with a shift kit and with all the money dropped into that thing (because the previous owner dropped bookoo bucks into it) I’m sure it’s an upgraded tranny too. Everything to look out for going out on both trucks are taken care of. I’m no expert on either vehicle all I know is that the 7.3 is known for pretty much hitting a million miles on the original motor and it is very likely it will last 100s of thousands of miles.

· Registered
2,806 Posts
Let's not forget to take your location in to consideration. Yes I understand their following and thrill of the 7.3, I get it. But there are zero creature comforts with that truck. Just novelty.

If you had that 7.3 up here in North Jersey you could get 20-23k all day with that setup right now. Rust free I wouldn't be surprised to see it listed for 30.

The LMM is already cleaned up performance wise. Even with all the work put in to the 7.3 you'll still run smoother with the LMM, not to mention fuel economy and suspension comfort.

Or sell them both for 50k and grab an LML (or L5P if you have some more cash on top)

· Registered
2015 Sierra 2500 CC
112 Posts
Here in KY, the 7.3 is highly sought after. There are no emission regulations for IN (expect in Indy), or KY So ole boys pretty much do whatever they want with them.

Most guys around here will buy them, clean them up/add a CAI 🤣, then resell.

Daily driver > I’d go with the LMM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.