Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 3500HD w/ LMM Durmax and Allison 6-Speed
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my truck with 100k on it. It just rollled 192k. For all of those miles I’ve owned it the DPF has regenerated about 1x per tank of fuel. Now suddenly it’s regenning about 4-5 times per tank. Truck is stock. I don’t have a tuner or anything to look at the DPF stats or injector balance rates. I just have a simple obd2 scanner that gives me basic engine parameters. None of those look off. There’s no codes. Fuel mileage is still good (when it’s not regenning). When it regents it gets up to about 1200F. Thoughts? Plugged DPF?

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
Based on my experience, it is best that when the truck goes into regen, get it out on the highway for about a 20 mile run. That allows the DPF to get hot enough to burn out everything. If you are not doing something similar, you may give it a go. If this doesn't work, you may have a plugged DPF. Don't know if they can be cleaned like the semis can. A new DPF is somewhere north of $1500.

My LMM regens once per tank and I put it on the highway for most regens and so far have no issues.

Good luck.

Reactions: tnjwetzel

·
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,157 Posts
It does sound like your DPF is plugged to the point where a normal regen isn't able to get it clean. You could try a manual regen via a monitor like the EDGE CTS or Banks iDash, or have the dealership perform a manual regen for you.

That might buy you a little time, but more than likely your DPF is going to need to come out and either be replaced or cleaned. Check around your area for a shop that cleans DPFs. They might be able to do yours for you and save you money over having to get a new one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you live in a place where you can get away with doing away with dpf and egr you will save quite a bit of headache and gain fuel mileage. I know mine runs better this way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's another point of contention with this truck. I did buy an Edge CTS2 for it a couple years ago. It hooks up and turns on, but never recognizes the truck. I went round and round with the Edge people. The uploaded multiple files to the CTS2 but nothing ever worked. They finally aid that someone previous to me my have put a tune in the truck and it needs to be restored back to original factory software for the CTS2 to work. Anyone else ever heard of this issue? I've never gone and done that. I use my basic OBD2 reader and an app on my phone to read most basic parameters.

UncleFestus I may just go and do that. I just have no desire to own a truck that dumps black smoke on people.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's another point of contention with this truck. I did buy an Edge CTS2 for it a couple years ago. It hooks up and turns on, but never recognizes the truck. I went round and round with the Edge people. The uploaded multiple files to the CTS2 but nothing ever worked. They finally aid that someone previous to me my have put a tune in the truck and it needs to be restored back to original factory software for the CTS2 to work. Anyone else ever heard of this issue? I've never gone and done that. I use my basic OBD2 reader and an app on my phone to read most basic parameters.

UncleFestus I may just go and do that. I just have no desire to own a truck that dumps black smoke on people.
Totally get that. I’m running Idaho Robs tunes and believe it or not even at full throttle I have very little smoke. It puffs just a bit then burns clean. I had the same issue with my previous LB7, previous tunes on top of what I was trying to do with the Edge tuner. Restored to factory then put the edge on it and worked well until I sold it. Hope that helps a little.

·
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,157 Posts
Just remember, deleting or altering emissions controls is a federal crime, and the EPA has gone full gestapo on the companies that provide these services here in the US. Please limit the discussion on this topic to what has already been posted.

Sorry for the hard stance on this; our hand has been forced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just remember, deleting or altering emissions controls is a federal crime, and the EPA has gone full gestapo on the companies that provide these services here in the US. Please limit the discussion on this topic to what has already been posted.

Sorry for the hard stance on this; our hand has been forced.
My bad. Didn’t mean to overstep. I will remember that for future conversations. My apologies to everyone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I’m well aware of the EPA and like I said I’m not impressed with the yahoo’s drowning people in black smoke. Hence why I’ve kept mine stock. So…assuming it is plugged, am I better off getting a new one or getting it cleaned? FYI we don’t have many diesel shops around here so not sure if cleaning is even an option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was just looking on Rock Auto. You can send yours out for a rebuild with lifetime warranty for $700. That’s the best price I’ve found.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts