Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone tell me if by 2008 GM has fixed these transmission failure problems ,and do i have anything to worry about. At present I pull a 26 foot toy hauler fully loaded rated at 11,000 lbs. Stock truck no mods. I was planning mild hp increase (plus 100) and will add new down pipe and 4-5 inch exhaust with dpf delete, standard PPE tuner.
comments please

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
there was never anything wrong with the transmissions. the only thing is if you add 100 or more hp to these is when you run into transsmissions troubles

·
Registered
915 Posts
well it is a stock transmission so anything over the stock hp you run the risk of messing somthing up. when they built the transmission they only planned for it to hold the stock hp amount. worst case scenario you limp it. a 6 speed with a transgo jr should have no problem holding 100hp over stock tho.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
x2... there are no transmission failure problems.

There are only transmission failures due to user error. You can't expect it to live forever with a huge amount of added hp. And 100hp isn't necessarily a mild hp increase. You'll get close to the limits of several drivetrain components at that level. Nothing that can't be remidied, but a stock truck has limits.

If you want to run big tunes, and tow heavy with tunes, be prepared to dish out some cash. Build your tranny, and take the proper steps to ensure low EGT's, and then you can tow heavy with a big tune. It's not as easy as slapping on a tuner set on the max setting and just driving. Thats how you break stuff.

If you'd like I'd be happy to help you out with a powerful yet still safe package to get rid of your DPF, get you some better mileage, and tow better than stock, at a great price. There's plenty of options, but it all comes down to how much you want to spend.

Please let me know if I can help :)

-Jesse
Husker Diesel

·
Registered
34 Posts
I pull a 35 foot Alfa 5th wheel (GVWR 16,000) with my stock LMM and I have not had any problems with the Allision transmission.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Not to derail but does the tranny cooler lines still have the bad crimps like the older ones?

·
Registered
662 Posts
put in a transgo jr and run your PPE upto the 160 tune (its at the crank with PPE), less if your towing, slap in some gauges for your egt's and have fun, i ran that setup for over a year with no problems

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well yes were all Noobs at one time but we like to learn and move on. Not like you who really did not know anything because you did not answer the Question.It seems all you had to offer was Just an attitude that your better than everyone else.

Thanks for the imput of all others. Sounds like the Transgo Jr is a wise choice for a long life problem free transmission, concidering the type of usage it's going to get.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Not to derail but does the tranny cooler lines still have the bad crimps like the older ones?

Yes they do, same tranny lines, had one replaced this winter on mine.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Well yes were all Noobs at one time but we like to learn and move on. Not like you who really did not know anything because you did not answer the Question.It seems all you had to offer was Just an attitude that your better than everyone else.

Thanks for the imput of all others. Sounds like the Transgo Jr is a wise choice for a long life problem free transmission, concidering the type of usage it's going to get.
Cool down man, it was a joke...sorry I'll remember to put an LOL or HAHA after my post next time. Believe me I don't think I'm better than anybody else and I had some noob questions when I was new here too, as you get more comfortable around here and read around more you will notice there is a lot of joking in threads like my last post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2008 allison with gm parts not a true allison

I have a 2008 gmc seira with a durramax and Allison I recently took it in to get the tranny serviced and was told that the 2008 gmc Allison trannys are not true allisons that they have gm parts in them they could not run diagnostics on it they had to get the infromation from gm before they could address the issue has anyone heard or ran into this problem

·
Registered
362 Posts
Find another shop, that one has bad info. You have an Allison 1000 - 6 speed in your truck and very little has change with them from 2006 to present. They are very similar to the Allison 1000 - 5speed put in GM trucks 2001 - 06as well. They also share most or all their stuff with the Allison 2000 put in med duty buses as well.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Yes, the TransGo Jr will help the 08 Allison, as long as you are not crazy with the Horsepower and the "skinny" pedal.

·
Registered
968 Posts
My 08 "I bought new" at the time had a edge module on it and I limped the trans and locked the converter .Driver error on my part. I drive everything like it is a nascar. My .02 is the Allison is only good for the max of 100 hp over stock. the weak points are the clutches and the converter.Most people install a transgo jr after the damage is already done. If you know you have not damaged the trans it is good insurance to install a trans go jr. "it helps the clutches engage"If you have any doubt , save your money and build it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Normally the lmm trucks will shudder the converter in 5th and 6th before the trans will limp. Normally you will limp the trans in gears 1 thru 4. My trucks trans has never limped however my converter shudders easily on a 100 hp tune. Get a good 60 to 80 hp tow tune with the trans go and drive it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Allison probs

Need help guys. My 08 Dirty has been acting up transmission wise. The last few mornings when im backing out it will act like it slips out of reverse into neutral. I have to either put it in park or drive to get it to re-engage in reverse. Also, when turning out into the highway, when its supposed to shift to 2nd, it will go into neutral again, until i give it throttle, and then it will shift into gear. well until today. it never shifted out of second, 15 miles to work. Fluid is fine, no leaks, tested it this afternoon and it slips but shifts now. acts like its low on fluid. help

1 - 18 of 18 Posts